Epilogue

I'd like to think that I had matured, grown and escaped the crippling anxiety and boulders of doubt that would settle in my lungs since I was a teenager. I'd had my rough patches since I left secondary school but it didn't stop me from developing into a responsible adult who tried their best at everything. Major detail: Responsible. However, all the confidence and self-esteem that I had gained over the past decade was thrown out of the window today.

"Hope just keep calm, we're going to get there on time," Fred laced his fingers with mine and intensely gazed at the traffic jam around us.

"Telling me to keep calm makes me even more nervous," my comment made him chuckle and squeeze my hand tighter.

"It's a midnight book release party- the midnight release party. You know, the one you've been dreaming of since you were a bloody toddler,"

"That's exactly why I'm nervous," I inhaled deeply. "What if it doesn't go the way I want it to or people don't like the book or-"

"You can't always control what's happening around you- you've just got to trust the people there and believe in yourself that you won't stumble over a chocolate fountain or accidentally swear in front of a bunch of people," that earned him a glare. "Besides, you know the amount of time and work you've put in this whole series. You've missed out on so much in your social life that it's only fair you enjoy the night."

"Thanks,"

He untangled his hand from mine to move the shift grip and the car surged forward. I missed the warmth of his hand but crossed my arms and stared out of the window.

I'm not going to lie and say that Fred and I have the perfect relationship and that we knew we were soul mates or anything right from the get-go. We'd had a pretty rocky relationship during college and university when I was putting all of my free time into writing the rest of the books in the "Gorgon's Blood" series. It was tough but we both came out stronger and now he's the person who best understands my weird writing habits and supports me to no end.

Fred turned up the music and looked at me expectantly but I didn't budge.

"I can't jam out at the moment," I said and he gave me a mock pout.

"Damn, I was hoping you would show your socks off to the dog in the car in front of us,"

I looked up and sure enough, there was a Beagle thoughtfully staring at us. I sunk further into my seat and flashed the pads of my feet at him before Fred snorted.

"Happy?"

"Extremely."

The time increased and I kept looking at my phone and the setting sun outside. I would've never thought that the road would be so busy on a Saturday evening. I sagged with relief when we arrived at the car park of the venue and got out of the car to get a breath of fresh air and calm my thumping heart.

"There they are!" Amy called out and I ran to give her an embrace. Mum, Dad and Katherine followed and each of them gave me huge beams. "Oh My Lord this is actually happening Hopie!"

"I know," I squealed.

"Good job sis," Martin came from behind Amy and gave me a side hug before glaring at me. "Although I must say that I hate you for what you did to my favourite character."

"Sorry,"

"OH MY GOD HOPE HOPE THE DAY HAS BLOODY COME!" I whirled around to see Grace running up to us and jumping in one spot as her grin extended from ear to ear. Faith, Love and Prudence were right behind her, holding each other for support because they were laughing hysterically.