Chapter 3

The next day, David had to get back to his job as sheriff, while Mary Margaret had to go to the school to set her classroom up for the approaching school year. Emma invited her friends Graham and Ruby over, but Ruby was working at her grandmother's diner, so she would be over a little later in the day.

Graham and Ruby had been dating since eighth grade. They had grown incredibly close, and they both loved each other. Emma was jealous because they were so happy, and she wasn't even with Neal anymore.

The doorbell rang and Emma ran over to the door and opened it. She smiled and hugged Graham as he came in. He kissed her cheek when they pulled apart. The feeling of being watched had intensified. As Graham crossed the threshold, he covered his mouth and nose and coughed.

"Are you okay?" Emma asked, placing her hand on his upper arm.

"Yeah. Just a little tickle in my throat is all. Nothing to worry about," he reassured her. The sat down on the couch and started Netflix. Graham picked a horror movie much to Emma's displeasure. "I'll protect you, you little scaredy cat," he told her, jokingly.

"Please," she said sarcastically. "I don't need protection."

But when the scary parts of the movie started to play, Emma found herself leaning into Graham's touch, trying to shield herself from the movie. Graham laughed at her silliness. "It's just a movie!" He said.

"And it may not scare you, but it does scare me."

Suddenly there was a thump from the kitchen, making both of them jump. Emma and Graham shared a confused look before pausing the movie and going to the kitchen. There was an open bag of flour that had been sitting on the counter, but it looked like it had been thrown before it hit the floor. Flour covered the floor, making it white. In the flour, were two footprints. Emma's first thought was that it was the spirit that lived in her home, but why was he trying to capture her attention? The energy in the room was heavier than it was in the living room. He was definitely in the room with them.

"Stay here. I'm going to see if anyone is here," Graham said and left the room. The sound of his coughing could be heard as he left the house.

Emma grabbed a broom and dustpan and started sweeping up the flour. "This is a really big mess. You couldn't have picked an ingredient that was easier to clean up?" She asked. There was a knock on the wall in response, and the feeling that passed through her wasn't fear, but amusement. She dumped the flour into the garbage just as Graham was walking back into the kitchen. He had his phone up to his ear, and a big smile on his face.

"See you in an hour. Bye, darling. I love you." He hung up and put his phone back in his pocket. "Ruby said she's going to be over in an hour. But, I went outside and there was no one there."

Emma nodded, already knowing what caused the flour to fall from the counter. "Let's watch the rest of that movie."

Graham and Ruby stayed over until Mary Margaret got home from work. She looked very tired when she walked through the door. Emma jumped up from the couch and grabbed her mother's bag.

"How was your day, Mom?" Emma asked.

"Good. How was yours?" Mary Margaret asked. She was trying to hide the fact that she was tired, but Emma could see past the mask.

"Good. Graham and Ruby spent all day here. Do you want to order a pizza for dinner? You look completely drained."

"You wouldn't mind that, would you?"

"No," Emma laughed and grabbed her mother's cell phone from her purse. "You just have to order it."

Mary Margaret laughed and nodded. She called the pizza place down the road and ordered. David walked in just as she was hanging up. He kissed his daughter on the forehead first and then moved to his wife, who he kissed on the lips. Emma's phone dinged in the kitchen, and she got up to grab it. Neal's name was flashed across the screen. She sighed and the energy in the room became heavy. She knew she wasn't alone.

She slid the button over and accepted the call. "What do you want?" Emma asked bitterly. Anger lacing every word.

"I just wanted to see how you were doing," he said simply.

"Why would you care? You and I aren't dating anymore. Or is this just some twisted joke to see how I am without you?"

"Neither. I really miss you, Em."

"No, you don't get to call me that."

"Swan?"

"Or that. That nickname is for my closest family and friends only. You aren't close to me anymore. I hate you."

"Emma, I was hoping that our break up was mutual."

"Yeah, well it wasn't. But I do believe that you are useless and not good enough. That is what you said to me, wasn't it?"

"Please listen to me-"

"No. We're done. Delete my number. Because that's what's going to happen with you," and then, Emma hung up. She placed her phone down on the counter and buried her face in her hands. She felt a hand skim up her back, and she turned her head to find her mother standing next to her. "How much did you listen to?" Emma asked.

"All of it," Mary Margaret said with a sad sigh. "I'm sorry, baby."

"I just thought he was a good guy, you know?"

"It's going to take some time to find the right person you are going to spend the rest of your life with."

"I give up on guys. I won't get hurt that way." She pulled out of her mother's embrace and went up to her room. The heavy energy following her up the stairs.