Chapter 9

Emma was a little disappointed. She hadn't dreamt of Killian last night, and she wanted to talk to him desperately. So he had feelings for her. It wasn't going to change anything. There wasn't anything that she could really do about it. Little did she know, though, that there was a real reason why she hadn't dreamt of him. She got out of bed and got dressed and went downstairs. She stopped just short of the kitchen when she heard her name.

"Emma's really changed since the last time we've seen her. She's more secretive. Wrapped up in her books? I think she was really with a guy. That they were up there having sex. When she turns up pregnant, I get to tell David "I told him so"," James said.

"You'd think she'd have more common sense. If she does end up with child, it's going to put an ugly mark on the Nolan name," Jackie agreed.

James nodded. "And it wouldn't matter who the guy is. Whether he wants the child or not, or if he is rich, the Nolan's are a perfect family."

"And that is why her parents have to figure out what is wrong with her." There was a loud bang and Emma jumped. "They should move out of this old death trap. It's going to fall down any minute."

She heard her parent's move around upstairs, so she hid behind another corner and watched as they joined Jackie and James in the kitchen. "Is everything okay down here?" David asked sleepily.

"Yeah. It was the house settling." James shrugged it off.

There was the sound of a pot clattering to the ground. "What the hell?"

Emma rushed into the kitchen and everyone looked at her. She shared a knowing look with her mother. "You have to get out of here."

"Why?" James asked. "Is it because of the ghost?" He pretended to be scared. Jackie laughed.

"Yes," Emma said seriously.

The lights in the kitchen sparked and went out completely. Mary Margaret tightened her grip on David's arm.

"This is a very funny trick, Emma," Jackie said. "But we aren't scared, so you can drop the act."

Cookbooks began flying off the shelves and everyone hit the ground to avoid getting hit. "It's not me!"

"Yes, it is." James rolled his eyes. "David, tell your daughter that she should quit this nonsense."

David looked at Emma. "She's telling the truth."

"Okay," James laughed. He started standing up. "I'm not going to get hit. Whatever wires she has hooked up, she'll make sure that her favorite uncle doesn't get hurt."

Emma peeked her head up. There was one last book on the shelf. Probably the biggest from her mother's collection. It started shaking, and she stood up and pushed James to the floor, but wasn't fast enough to get out of the way. The book struck the side of her face with such force, she stumbled to the ground.

"Emma!" Her parents shouted. James and Jackie were terrified as they realized something that would have prevented all of this. She was right.

"I'm fine," she mumbled.

Jackie got off the ground and went to the freezer. She found a bag of frozen peas and wrapped a towel around the bag and gave it to Mary Margaret. She hovered over Emma and brushed her blonde hair out of her face so Mary could place the bag on the bruise that was already forming. "I'm so sorry."

"It's fine. I'm okay," Emma said. She grabbed the bag of frozen peas and stood up. "I'm going back to bed." The lights in the kitchen flickered back on.

"I'm going to get a priest to take care if this," David said.

Emma whirled around and looked at her father. "No! Killian didn't mean to hurt me!"

"The ghost has a name?"

"Yes! His name is Killian Jones. He died in the fire in 1849. He just wants to communicate. He wanted someone to know that the fire wasn't an accident."

"This is communicating? He just went crazy!"

Emma sighed. 'How the hell am I going to explain that he fell in love with me, and that's why he was upset?' "Dad, he's not trying to hurt any of us."

"Past owners of this house said that there was an evil spirit haunting it. I didn't believe them, but I should have."

"Killian isn't bad!"

"Go to your room. I'm not having this conversation with you this earlier in the morning."

"But, Dad-"

"Now, Emma!" He yelled.

Emma threw the bag onto the ground and ran up to her room. She slammed the door behind her, making the whole house shake. The first thing she did was cry. She couldn't lose him. There were a few knocks on the wall and she sniffed and grabbed her phone. She opened up the recorder and waited for him to say something.

"I'm sorry," he said, very sadly.

"Why'd you get mad?" She asked shakily.

"About what they said."

"Nothing is going to happen to me, but I'm very worried." She brought her knees up to her chest and shut her eyes. "What's going to happen if they bring the priest?"

"Nothing. I'm staying."

"You can't promise me that," she whispered.

"Not first time."

"But what if this time it works?" More tears streamed down her face. "I need you," she whispered.

"I love you," he said.

She sobbed some more. She buried her head in her pillow to keep them quiet. She felt a hand run down her back, but when she looked, no one was there, which brought more tears to her eyes. "Quit being so sweet!" She yelled at him in a choked whisper.

"Sleep."

She nodded and laid down again. It was awhile before she fell asleep. The thoughts of Killian being sent away or wherever he would go wouldn't leave her head. She knew it was beyond selfish, wanting him to stay with her, but she didn't think she would be able to let him leave her.