Chapter 21

Emma sat by Neal's bedside, waiting for his parents to arrive. The doctors wouldn't tell her his injures until an adult showed up. She hoped it was nothing serious. Although she hated Neal's guts, she didn't want him to die or have a lifelong injury. She knew that Killian was just acting upon his feelings. That he wasn't able to hide the fact that he didn't want Neal anywhere around her, and she understood, because she felt like that with every girl that came within fifteen feet of him. She felt like any girl could take him away from her, and that was how he felt about every guy. It wasn't okay that Killian almost beat the living hell out of Neal, but she appreciated the thought that Killian was actually fighting for her.

"Emma?" Neal groaned.

"Thank God you're alive." She let out a breath she didn't know she was holding.

"What happened?"

"Killian beat the shit out of you."

"No, I know that, but why are you still here?"

"I didn't want you to wake up alone. Your parents are on their way and I wanted to make sure you were okay."

He smiled. "You didn't have to stay, but you did, so thank you. But you can go now if you'd like. I'll be fine on my own."

"Alright. I have to yell at someone anyway."

Emma walked to the door and was standing in the doorway when Neal called her name, stopping her from going anywhere. "I'm done chasing you now. It landed me in the hospital. This is almost like that time when I broke in, and everything started attacking me. Does that ghost in your house like your boyfriend?"

She smiled. "Yeah, he does." She was walking to the exit of the hospital when a rush of paramedics ran in with someone on a gurney. Out of curiosity, Emma looked over to see who it was. Her hand was on the metal bar on the door when her blood ran cold, and lying on the gurney was none other than Killian Jones. She ran to a paramedic who was scribbling information down. She tapped on his shoulder to get his attention. "What's wrong with him?"

"His guardian said that he just collapsed. What is he to you?"

"He's my boyfriend."

The man looked down at Emma and put his hand on her shoulder. "We're going to do everything we can."

A woman burst through the doors. She had blonde hair and loose clothes on. Her icy blue eyes scanned the lobby for a moment before running over to the paramedics surrounding Killian. "Is he okay?" She asked in a panicked tone. Emma could see the tears in the woman's eyes.

"Afraid not. We're just finishing up a few tests before we get him into a room."

The woman looked down at Emma and smiled. "You're Emma Nolan. His girlfriend." Emma shook the woman's hand that she had been offered.

"Yeah, but how did you know that?"

"He talks about you a lot. I'm his aunt. Ingrid."

Emma smiled. "I wish I could say that we're meeting on better conditions."

"Yeah."

The paramedics rushed Killian into a room, but Ingrid and Emma were forced to stay back. All they could do was wait as countless tests were done before he slipped into another coma. "Ms. Jones?" The doctor asked. She stood up and went over to him. Emma couldn't hear what they were saying, and that was probably what they wanted. But she did see tears stream down Ingrid's face.

When she came back, Emma put her magazine down and leaned on the edge of her chair. "What did he say?"

"They don't think he's going to survive again," Ingrid said after a very long pause. "But there's a ten percent chance that he does."

Tears welled in Emma's eyes. "No, he's a fighter. He's going to make it."

"I don't think so, Emma."

"Can we see him?"

"Yes. You can go first. I know he means a lot to you."

Emma bolted to the room. Her heart was in her throat. He was hooked up to all kinds of machines and had IVs in his arms. There wasn't a breathing tube in his mouth though. She sat down in the chair beside his bed and grabbed his hand. "You're not allowed to leave me," she sniffed. "I can't lose you again, Killian. I'm not going to do it. I won't make it. I need you. Here with me." There was a jump in the heart monitor, and the steady beeping filled the room. "I love you. I need to hear you say those words back to me. You're going to go off to college after high school and you are going to be whatever you want to be. Then I'm going to get there, and then we're going to live in an apartment near the campus together. Please."

"I'm not going anywhere," she heard his voice, and she turned around. Killian was standing there, but his body was still lying on the bed. "I don't know what happened."

"What happened is that you were being an idiot."

"You don't have to tell me that. I already know."

She looked back to his body. "What is this?"

"I don't know. All I know is that I'm fighting like hell to come back to you."

"Please." She looked over at him with tears in her eyes. "I want you with me."

"I know, love. And I'm going to be with you. I always will. Just, don't let go."

He grip on his hand tightened. "Never."

He smiled, "I can feel that."

More tears streamed down her face. "Do you think it would have been easier if I hadn't moved into the house?"

"Yeah, I do. But I'm glad it happened because it brought us together."

"You're lying in a hospital bed!"

"But you're still here."

"Killian." She couldn't see anything anymore. All she could see was a blur through her tears.

"Shh, I know, love." He raised his hand up and pressed it against her cheek. It was a ghostly touch because she knew he wasn't really there, but in the bed beside her. "Don't give up on me."

"I won't. As long as you don't give up on me."