Chapter 22

It had been two weeks.

Two long weeks and Killian was still in the hospital, but his spirit was still following Emma around. That gave her the motivation to get up out of bed in the morning. To not pick up the razor blade and cut into her skin. All of her friends had insisted that she stay away from the hospital and have some fun. They decided to stay at Graham's house and play a card game one night. It was called Bullshit. And Emma was really good, as if she had x-Ray vision and could see through the cards. But, she did have a little help.

"Graham is putting down a five instead of a four. You can call bullshit on him," Killian said.

The object of the game was to go around the table of players with each person putting down a number. One person would have to put an Ace down, and the next player a two. The third would have three and the fourth would have four. Even if you didn't have the correct card number, you still had to call out the number you are supposed to be playing for. If someone suspects that you have the wrong card, then they can call bullshit. If they were right, you get the entire deck in the middle. If they were wrong, they get the deck.

Emma purposely lost a few games to make it look as if she wasn't cheating. They played different card games throughout the night and had a good time. Eventually though, everyone went home. While she was in the shower that evening, she was completely alone. Killian wasn't waiting for her in the bedroom. She had to keep telling herself that he was in the hospital and not really with her. Emma left the bathroom and jumped when her phone rang. She walked over to it where it was charging and saw Ingrid's name flash on the screen. Bad thoughts immediately flew into her head. What if Killian wasn't okay? What if she was calling to say that he was now dead? His spirit was nowhere to be found and she automatically assumed the worst, that way, there would be no hope to crush.

"H-hello?" Emma asked. Her nerves were on edge.

"Emma, thank the heavens!" Ingrid shouted happily.

"What's wrong? Did something happen to Killian?"

"He's awake, and he's asking for you."

Emma stopped breathing as happy tears rolled down her face. "I'll be right down." She hung up and ran to her closet and picked something random to wear and threw it on. She opened her bedroom door and ran downstairs to find her parents cuddled on the couch, watching a movie. "Is it alright if I go out for a little bit?"

"You just got back from your friend's house. Where could you possibly go at this time of night?" David asked. Mary Margaret leaned over and paused the movie.

"Killian's awake and he's asking for me.  I have to go to the hospital."

"I'll drive you," Mary Margaret said as she sprung up from the couch.

"What? No! No one is leaving!" David said sternly.

"Dad, please. I need to see him."

"He's probably just as much trouble as his ancestor was. You should stay away from him."

"Leave her alone, David. I'm driving her to the hospital. I'll stay there with her and we'll be back home in an hour or so." Mary Margaret leaned down to kiss her husband and motioned for them to leave.

"Thank you so much, Mom," Emma said as she buckled her seat belt.

"I like you two together." Mary Margaret smirked, "You're cute."

"Yeah, yeah we are."

They sat in a comfortable silence as Mary Margaret drove to the hospital. When she parked, Emma ran inside and to the receptionist desk.

"I'm looking for Killian Jones," she said out of breath.

The black haired woman looked very bored and tired as she typed on the computer. "Room 1258."

"Thank you." Emma ran to the room and finally stopped when she saw the door closed. It was a private room. It had been different from the last time when she was here. This was closer to the intensive care unit, but not quite in it. She slowly pushed the door open and saw Killian casually lying in the bed with his hand over his eyes. All the wires and tubes were gone, and the only one that remained was a single IV. "How are you feeling?"

He turned his head and squinted his eyes. "I'm okay."

She sat on the chair that was by the bed and smiled. "You'll be out of here in no time at all, Killian."

"I know." He grabbed her hand and held onto it tightly. She could see tears in his eyes as he tried to force a smile.

"Is there something you're not telling me?"

He shook his head. "No, I just really wanted to hold you."

She smiled and he scooted over to make room for her. Emma laid down and pushed his head down onto her chest. "I missed you."

"I missed you too."

She had never seen him like this. She had never seen him so upset and desperate for her before. Her heart broke for him. "Are you sure everything's alright?"

"It is now."

But her nerves still didn't relax. She pulled away and sat in his lap. Each leg on either side of him. She cupped his cheek and ran her thumb along his cheek. "What is it that you're not telling me."

"I promise. I'm fine. I'm not gonna go anywhere and nothing is wrong."

"I know that, but something obviously has you on edge."

He sighed and looked down. "They found cancer, Emma." Emma sat there shocked. "I didn't want the painful treatments and all the medicine." He cupped her cheek and brought her gaze back to his. "I don't have much time left here in the physical world."

"Killian, no. I told you. I can't lose you. I won't."

"It's not a choice. There was an old couple who lived in the house, and the woman got cancer. She was miserable, Emma. Her husband was even worse. I'm dying and there's nothing we can do about it."

"But I just got you back. It's not fair that they are taking you away again."

"I'll still be with you. It will be like old times."

"But I don't want it to be. I like it how it is now."

He placed his hand over her heart. "I'll be right here. I'll always come back to you." Tears were streaming down Emma's face now. She fell forward into Killian's chest and cried. He stroked her hair while silent tears rolled down his cheeks. "I'll still go to the dance with you if you'd like."

Emma let out a sad laugh. "Okay. But you aren't going anywhere until we do."

"I cross my heart." He made an 'x' pattern over his heart and wrapped his arms around her again, reveling in her touch. It would be a long time before he was able to hold her properly again, with no ticking time bomb hanging over their heads.