Chapter 23

Saturday came faster than expected. Emma stayed up in her room most of the day, trying to make her hair as perfect as could be. One minute she wanted one hairdo, but the next, she wanted another. In the end, she picked out a wavy style with her bangs pushed back. Her makeup was natural, and her dress was silver with a glitter skirt. Just as she was putting the finishing touches to her makeup, there was a knock at the door. She grabbed her clutch and her silver flats and ran down the stairs. She slipped her shoes on before opening the door, revealing Killian who was standing in a black tuxedo with a silver tie.

"I have never laid eyes on a more beautiful young woman than I have tonight," He said with awe in his voice. He took her hand and laid a gentle kiss to her knuckles.

"I don't even know what to say in response to that," she giggled.

"I don't expect you to say anything." He kissed her cheek and held out his hand for her. "Shall we, m'lady?"

"We shall," She replied as she grabbed his hand.

Killian led her to a black Chevy and opened the door for her. He went to the driver's side and got in and started the car. "My aunt is letting me borrow her car for tonight. She's already taught me the basics of driving. Apparently the other Killian Jones knew how to drive."

"I trust you," Emma said and put her hand over his.

Killian pulled out of the driveway smoothly and drove to the school. 

Many couples were walking into the school hand in hand. It was the entire high school, so the gym was packed. It was a fall themed dance, so fake leaves were glued everywhere and there were lights strung from the ceiling. The colors included red, orange, and yellow. Ruby and Graham were already on the dance floor, as was Anna and Chris, and Elsa and Jefferson. Killian dragged Emma to the dance floor and pulled her against his body.

"Care to dance?" He asked.

"I'd love to."

Emma laid her head down on Killian's shoulder and he rested his on hers. She couldn't believe that he had about a month to live. She tried not to think about it, but it just hurt her so much every time she saw him and was reminded that he had cancer. The incurable disease, and there was nothing they could do. But, at least he wouldn't die alone.

"Hey," he whispered. She picked her head up and looked into his bright blue eyes. "I know what you're thinking. Stop doing that to yourself."

"I can't help it." She was fighting tears now. She didn't want to make a scene. "I love you."

"And I you, but I'll see you again soon."

"Not soon enough."

"Love." He grabbed her hand and squeezed. "I'm not going to leave you. I'm not going to move on."

"You have to." She sniffed and took a deep breath to try to push the tears back. "I want you to stay with me just as much as you want to, but it's selfish to say that."

He moved behind her and wrapped his arms around her. They slowly swayed and she held onto him tightly. "I'm not moving on. I'm going to stay with you and protect you. I'm going to make sure you stay safe."

"But what about when I get married? You're so jealous you will kill the guy at the alter."

"All I want is for you to be happy. With or without me."

She sighed, "maybe you'll meet up with Milah in the afterlife."

"Maybe, but I don't want her."

"I hate you," she sobbed. "You made me fall in love with you and you're so sweet and it's not fair."

"I know."

They swayed back and forth until the music stopped. Emma excused herself to the bathroom and fixed her makeup. She stared at herself in the mirror and wondered what the hell she was going to do next. She looked down to her arms and saw the scars that were there. They would definitely change and increase as time went on without him. She was sure of it. She took a few deep breaths. Eventually, the tears subsided and she was able to go back out to the gym. Killian was waiting by the refreshments table with a cup of soda in his hands. She wanted nothing more than to curl up next to him in her bed and watch Netflix until they both fell asleep.

"There's my girl," he said and held his arms out for her. The tears that she tried so hard to push back were now forming once again, and his smile faded immediately. "Do you want to go back to my house? Ingrid isn't home."

"You wanted to spend time at the dance," she said halfheartedly.

"I wanted to spend time with you. It doesn't matter where we are." She nodded and he threw his cup in the trash and put his hand on the small of her back and led her to the exit of the gym.

"Leaving the party so soon, Nolan?" A voice said from behind them.

Sadness was replaced by anger as soon as Emma heard Zelena's voice. "Yes. I can't believe you've come to check up on me. I didn't know you cared so much."

"I don't."

"Sure," Emma said sarcastically. She squeezed Killian's hand and glanced up at him. "Let's go."

Killian nodded and they went out to his car. He helped her in and sped off. "Do you want to get something to eat?"

As she glanced over at him, she didn't have a strong urge to cry. She smiled warmly at him. "Yeah."

He smiled in return and went to a fancy restaurant near the school. "Robin told me about this place. He said that the ceiling is made of glass, and you can see the stars if you look up. I've wanted to take you here ever since I found out about it."

"Star Hill. Yeah, I've heard of it. I've never been there though."

"Perfect."

As he drove, Emma snuck a glance over at him. She knew it was going to be difficult for him to leave, and it was going to take time to heal, but she knew she could make it. Why? Because she had his memory.