Chapter 6: What now?

Thanks for so many reads! I hope your still enjoying it! Thanks again :p

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It took at least 20 minuets for everyone to catch their breath.

They all found it hard to look at the corps and resisted to go near.

Max then started to approach him,  after noticing cuts in Benjamin's T-Shirt.

"Mum look." He wiped away some tears to take a better look.

"Don't touch him Max! Don't make this worse than it already is." Claire whimpered, tucking her coat tighter around her fragile frame. "We need to leave him in peace."

"They've written on his shirt." Max got closer and then started to lift the shirt as high as he could reach.

Bold letters had been cut into Benjamin's skin, covered in dry blood.  Claire and Kelly started to approach as well to take a closer look.                                                                                                        

It said 'TIME IS TICKING'.

Max dropped the shirt quickly.

"They knew we would come here." Kelly whispered. "They know that we would go in this direction!"

"We need to go now!" Claire pulled herself together and went to the car. She pulled at the doors but they were locked. "Shit."

"Here Mum." Max grabbed a stone and smashed it through the window.

Claire then opened the door and sent the others to smash the boot window.

"Get all the food from the car and any other resources." Claire grabbed a backpack that was left inside. "We need to move quickly."

The car tires were slashed so the escaping with the car not an option.

"Lets go!" Claire packed the emergency blanket and first aid kit and packed it into the already filled bag.

They all set off in the same direction whilst nibbling on some dry crackers.

"Mum shouldn't we split up?" Max suggested.

"No we stick together. Otherwise we will get lost and never get back after three days." Claire fired back and continued to wipe away the tears.

They all kept quiet.

After another hour or so heading north they took a break.

"We should sleep now while they still aren't trying to find us." Claire flattened out the blanket and got out one more cracker for each of the group.

"We could take turns sleeping so we can control the time." Kelly offered and Claire nodded.

"I can watch while you two sleep for half an hour, I can always sleep later." Claire sat down and started reading a book from the car.

"How will you tell if its been half an hour." Max started to lie down near Kelly.

"I have a watch from the car." Claire held it up and started to softly cry again when realising it was Benjamin's.

The other two only managed to get 10 minutes of sleep. Sleeping in the middle of night, going hungry, is proven to be difficult.

"Okay wake up you two!" Claire packed up the book and the blanket and continued heading North.

"How long do we have left Mum?" Max asked cautiously.

"I reckon around 2 more hours." Claire got out more food. She knew that two more hours of straight out walking was going to be too difficult. But she continued anyway.

"Okay we have a new rule." Claire declared, "every time we pass some mud or appear to leave a track, we go over it. Understand?" They both nodded.

"I think we should also make a fake camp and fake prints going in the wrong direction." Max tried to think back to all the episodes of Bear Grylls.

"But then they would know we where in that area at some point." Kelly said.

"The fake prints could work." Claire thought about it. At that convenient moment they came across some mud.

"Lets do it."

They sunk there shoes into the mud, facing the south.

"That'll teach them." Max chuckled.

"Okay lets go." After finishing they quickly set off.

"Wait I need the loo." Max whined. Kelly nodded in agreement.

"Nobody look at me." Max took some tissue from the bag and went behind the tree.                    "Okay we can all go." Claire put the bag down and they all took a small break.

After a few minuets Claire went back to collect the bag and suddenly realised they were very close to a path.

"Mum is that a walking path?" Kelly's voice got a little bit higher.

"I don't know, but I think we should get away from it, I wouldn't be surprised if they come down here with their big car to try and find us." They knew she right and started to walk away.

"Wait!" Max pointed to further down the path.

There were more people.