Chapter 12: Not so fast

It was the night before the third day.

They clumped tightly together under the tree next to the stream; their snores droned out to the sound of the water.

Kelly got her sleep with the reassurance of her mother's presence, and she soon came back to reality.

"Mum." Kelly shook her mother's arm vigorously.

"Mum!" She whisperer harshly again.

"Huh?" Claire awoke and turned her head to Kelly, rubbing her eyes, "what is it?" She whispered but soon the hairs on her skin shot up and she froze in fear.

She could her footsteps.

"What if it-it's Declan?" Kelly could hardly say his name. Claire shoved  her finger on her lips to immediately silence her.

The footsteps got louder and closer, although the stream made it harder to hear and estimate the distance.

Kelly was crying, but tried not let out her whimpering.

"Hello?" They could hear a voice call over the footsteps.

Was that Max?

"Mum?" The voice called again.

Claire didn't what another moment before bringing herself to her feet.

"Mum no wait!" Kelly grabbed her shirt, "it might not be him!" She spluttered!

Claire didn't listen to one more word, "Max baby its me, its okay."

Claire started crying with happiness.

"Max!"

"Mum?" Out of the shadow of the trees, Max stood and looked over.

"Oh sweetheart its okay!" Claire started to run over, "its me its okay." She repeated.

She quickly embraced him in a hug. But he stood, frozen still.

"Run." He whispered in her ear.

Claire came out of the hug, confused.

Then she heard more footsteps. She looked back and Kelly was still crouched by the tree.

"RUN!" Max screamed and all of a sudden two grown men ran out of the trees.

Claire and Kelly started screaming and ran in the opposite direction.

"HELP!" Claire managed to scream at the top of her lungs as the men accelerated and closed in.

"You can hide but you can't run!" One of the men laughed as a large wall approached.

It was the edge of the estate.

The men quickly shoved Kelly and Claire up against the wall and bellowed a loud laugh.

"Well its about time eh?" One of them laughed and started to tie them up.

"Fuck you." Kelly tried to spit in their face again.

"Whore." He pulled tighter on the role around her wrists.

Then, the two girls heard a crunch of leaves.

It was Max.

Kelly and Claire went silent as they saw Max slowly approach behind them.

The men gave them a funny look.

"What are you fucking looking at." One of the men turned around.

"Oh its you." He pulled a pistol out of his pocket.

"RUN MAX!" Claire shouted as soon as she saw the gun.

"Let's get you over and done with." He laughed.

The gun shots echoed throughout the whole forest.