III. The Missing Half

"You told us you are staying inside your room," her stepmother said as she dragged Maxine down the empty corridor.

Maxine grimaced. "I did, but I did not say I might change my mind," she replied, voice low.

"I do not know what I should do with you, truly," Lady Theobald said with frustration. "Your father and I are—"

"Do not worry, Lady Theobald," she interjected and for a second saw the pain flash before her stepmother's eyes.

She was aware of the fact that the woman had always desired for her to call her Mother, one thing Maxine could not ever bring herself to do.

Ignoring Lady Theobald's reaction, Maxine continued, "I shall return to my room. No one will have to find me. Tell father not to fret. No need to escort me, I know my way around."

As she said it, she pulled her arm away from her stepmother and continued to walk toward the staircase, one that was forbidden for the guests, and one that would lead to her secret bedchamber.

She had changed her costume after having served Nicholas Everard. There was no way she could go back and help him change into his evening attire. Being a maid was better, but it also allowed her father and stepmother to recognize her earlier during dinner when she had boldly walked into the hall to serve the guests.

"You cannot keep doing this, Maxie," said her stepmother when she was halfway up the stairs. Maxine looked over her shoulder to where the woman was standing below and her heart swelled. Rachel Theobald had more than accepted her. The woman had made her feel like she was one of her own children.

"Do not worry, my lady, I shall not cause more trouble," she said with a smile. "For tonight, that is," added with a wicked smile and chuckled when her stepmother helplessly shook her head, trying hard to hide her own amusement. "Go back to the party. I shall retire for the night."

Lady Theobald narrowed her eyes at her like she did when she and her brothers were little and had caused trouble around the household. "Prepare for your father's wrath, Maxine Theobald."

Maxine snorted and allowed an exaggerated curtsy. "I shall, my lady, and I hope you will save my neck once more."

Her stepmother laughed and walked away without another word.

Maxine turned to continue her way up the stairs, ready to retire for the night. Having carried Nicholas Everard's heavy luggage earlier still left her muscles sore.

She had just entered the door of an empty room that would lead to a secret door to her bedchamber when she heard a voice. Pushing the door just enough to allow a small opening, Maxine waited. No one was allowed to enter this part of the manor.

"You do not know where they went," a man's voice hissed.

"Hush!" a female voice answered back.

Maxine stepped away from the door when she saw a woman in a heavy gown and a man in black suit walk past her door. Her jaw tightened.

They must have seen her with her stepmother and followed them here. She was completely aware of the gossip surrounding her and they must be two of the people who were lucky to have heard Lady Gedge's secret gossip about the Theobalds' dark secret.

Crossed to have had her privacy invaded once more after that stupid scavenger hunt that Lady Gedge had concocted in hopes of revealing the Theobald bastard years ago, Maxine pulled the door open and walked out of the room. The pair had their backs at her. "Why are you following me?" she sternly demanded.