XIII. Besotted Fools

Maxwell walked into the building, his footsteps echoing though the quiet hall. It stopped when he reached the desk to face the man that could compete with his bored, passive look.

"Good day, my lord," said the man, looking at him curiously. "How may I be of service?"

"The wo—" he paused to correct himself and continued, "What did the man dressed in a valet uniform look into?"

"You mean Lord Whiston's valet, my lord? Lord Whiston your brother, my lord?"

He nodded.

"Articles, my lord."

"Articles of which?"

"The Town Herald, my lord."

Maxwell frowned.

"Said your brother required him to look into them."

That was highly unlikely. "What were the specific articles he looked into?"

"I cannot truly point out, my lord. The young fellow did ask for articles dating twenty-five years past."

His brows cocked high. "Months?"

"Nearly the first half of a year, my lord," the man replied. "I do have still the list."

He held out his hand for the list. The man hesitated. "Well? Give it to me," he ordered.

"But I do not believe I ought to—"

"Is there a law that prohibits one to hand over a list of Herald articles?"

"None that I can think of, my lord."

"Then give it to me."

The man swallowed and handed him a piece of paper. He studied the months and frowned. This was merely giving him more questions to think of.

Why was she looking into these articles?

"Is there anything else?"

The man frowned at his question.

"Anything else that the valet looked for?"

"None, my lord."

"Good," he said. He started to leave but not without saying, "You did not see me here today. Understood?"

The man blinked and nodded. "Yes, my lord."

Maxwell turned and walked out of the library.

This matter was turning out to be more baffling by the day.

*****

There were far more reasons why Maxine was eagerly waiting for the day that Nicholas would depart from Wickhurst.

One, and the most paramount, of course, was her anticipation to reach Willowfair. Amelia Trilby, if she was not mistaken, was one who would not miss as big a ball as Macy's.

Second, and the most comforting, was that she could be away from Maxwell Everard. The man would be at the Macy ball as Nicholas had shared two days later, but she was hoping he would be quite busy what with his family around.

Third, and the most ridiculous of all, was that she could be free of the enormous tension amongst the servants. Molly and Oscar had a big fight three days prior, the same day she had gone to the library to look into the Herald articles. Molly did not appreciate Oscar's insult toward Lottie about books and reading. Maxine had to come back to the estate that day with Molly and Oscar shouting at each other, Lottie crying in one corner and Fanny trying to settle the situation. It was Albin who shouted for the two to keep their voices down as his lordship was still asleep.