XXIV. A Dinner with the Everards

"Let go of me at once! Your brother would—" Maxine was not able to finish her sentence for Maxwell made a sudden turn, dragging her along with him, and climbed up the stairs. "I said, let go of me!" she hissed but he was not listening.

They reached the second landing. He turned to the left, his steps thudding along the corridor.

Maxine pulled at her hand when she realized where he was taking her. He was taking her to his chamber.

She let him drag her until they entered the room and mayhap he thought she had finally given in for he let her go the moment they walked through the doorway. But she surprised him by whirling around, running toward the door.

"If you wish to leave, you must leave now for if you do not allow me to help you then I will be inclined to tell Samuel where you are."

Maxine stopped cold at his words.

"You can no longer hide whatever disguise you take for I know where you intend to go."

She gritted her teeth and stormed toward the door. And then she slammed it close before she spun on her heels to face him. Shooting him a darting look of fury, she said, "You are a heartless bastard."

For the first time since she had met him, Maxine saw a flicker of guilt flash before his green eyes. "I have told you. I was planning to use you upon your consent."

Her eyes narrowed into slits, narrowed like a hunter about to shoot his prey. "And that is why you are a heartless bastard, my lord," she growled. Her hands balled into fists at her sides. "Consent or not, you were planning to use me."

"Acquire your help then," he hastily rephrased. "In return to the help I am offering."

"One I willingly, ungratefully and strongly decline!"

The anger she saw on his face was sudden. His face turned scarlet as he stalked toward her, gritting through his teeth, "And you believe that I shall let you go to Willowfair alone? Have you no mind of what might happen to you!"

"I do not care!" she shot back. She looked him up and down and scoffed in disbelief. "And now you pretend to be the gentleman and worry about my safety? Why? Because now you are aware that I am gentry? That I am the secret daughter of a family friend?" She pushed him away when he took another step forward. "Your manners are outright misplaced, my lord, for I am not fooled. Nor shall I allow you to do it again!"

"Samuel will know of your whereabouts should you leave without me."

Maxine nearly groaned. Of course, why did she forget about that threat? She turned and faced the door. Closing her eyes, Maxine counted until her breathing returned to almost normal. "Very well, I leave in five days. Should you be there or not, I shall take my chances."

"You must wait—"

"You no longer dictate when or how I execute my plans, my lord. Go and get my brother if you must," she said over her shoulder. "But I will not be stopped. You join me or you do go and tell my brother and prove that you are naught but a conniving brute."

Maxine noted how his entire form stiffened at her last words. But he did not reflect whatever reaction he felt into action and instead let out a frustrated sigh. "What time?"

"The afternoon," she said, reaching for the door and pulling it open.

"Dare not play a trick on me, Maxine."

Maxine felt a sudden gush of fury at the mention of her name. "I would dare not, my lord," she lied, walking out of the room. "Do prepare your carriage for I'd love to ride one over a hackney."