XXXVIII. Fears

Kenward was not too far from Wickhurst. In fact, one could reach it in merely a matter of a day. But the moment you arrive and walk through its grounds you would feel as if you have reached the farthest corner of the Town itself.

Merely a few miles were the mines owned by none other than the Everards themselves. It was where the gemstones were carved for polishing and eventually settle around the ton's necks, fingers, wrists, heads and anywhere else they saw fit.

Maxwell's estate was not as large as Theobald, but it could very well be for it had so much space.

"You are not obviously fond of fixtures," she noted to her husband as she walked into an almost empty drawing room. "I could invite ten people for fencing in this room."

He did not comment, simply shrugged and walked over to the nearest chair, two of three in the room.

"Why?" she asked, walking over to him.

He sighed, reading her question. One of the things she loved about their odd relationship was the lack of requirement for words. Both of them could easily read each other's mind. On the other hand, it was also hard to keep a secret, especially the one she had been keeping for three days now. She was waiting for the perfect time to tell him.

"I see no use for paintings," he uttered. "They do overwhelm my senses, most especially when I am designing." His reply drew Maxine back to the present.

He reached out for her and pulled her closer so she was standing between his legs. "What are you doing?" she asked when his hands rested on her hips, caressing her through her heavy skirts. "I am telling you, Maxwell, I am tired," she weakly protested, resting her hands on his shoulders.

His hands paused and he tilted his head up at her, feigning an innocent frown. "Pray tell, wife," he said, narrowing his eyes, "what you think I am planning to do?"

Maxine gave him a look of warning and stepped away. "You are yet to show me the rest of the estate, you devil."

The desire in his eyes did not waver even up to the moment when he had to take her from one room to the next and when she dragged the time wandering around his very small garden.

"I heard that Levi has a hole directly over his manor," she murmured.

"I am sorry to disappoint you, love," he said, "but I merely have one."

"And I also heard that he built Tori rain," she nonchalantly added as they walked back into the manor, leaving the garden behind.

"Are you trying to tell me that you wish for such romantic gestures?"

Maxine rolled her eyes and sighed. "I wish you did not have to say that."

"Why?"

"It breaks the spell!"

"The spell?"

"The magic."

"I do not understand, I honestly don't."

"Of course you would not," she said. He absently grabbed her hand and they walked up the stairs. "Where are we going next? And no, not the bedchamber just yet. I know what you have in mind."

He let out a snort. "My workroom," he provided.

They turned into the west wing and down the narrow corridor that led to an open space. Maxine had to admit that she was thoroughly impressed. The room was surrounded by bare windows, providing a much better lighting from the bright lamps outside. From where they stood in the middle of the room, she could see the Kenward plantation and the beam of light shining down from the hole above it.