XX. A Lord with a Plan

"You do not entirely believe me," Maxine told him as they traveled back to the townhouse. "Why would you want to help me?"

Maxwell Everard did not look away from whatever he was staring at outside the window. He sighed. He apparently found her questions bothersome. "If you are truly who you say you are, proving that you are Amelia Trilby's daughter will erase all doubts I have about you."

Maxine scoffed. This Everard brother was indeed wise. "Very well, I agree."

He turned his head and their eyes met. Her heart oddly raced inside her chest and she suppressed it by cocking a brow. "I simply said I'd help you. I did not ask that you agree."

Her heart stopped racing as she froze with irritation. With a stiff, cold smile, Maxine uttered, "I do adore your arrogance, my lord."

He offered a cynical, short bow, one very close to a nod, and said, "As I do your beautiful mockery."

She offered the same cynical, short curtsy with her head. "Thank you."

His lips quirked. It could have been a smile, it could have been a frown. Maxine sighed and looked out the other window. "Since you have so graciously imposed helping me, you surely do have a plan, yes?" she asked, belatedly adding, "my lord."

His hand rose to brush his long hair away from his face, eyes still outside the window. "We will have to wait."

"You have said as much moments earlier. I would appreciate if you can elaborate further."

"I will have to figure out a way to set up a meeting with Amelia Trilby."

"The Everards are not in good terms with the Trilbys you said," she pointed out.

He turned to look at her again. "I do have connections."

"Thus we must return to Wickhurst first," she concluded.

"Yes."

Maxine studied Maxwell Everard when he tore his eyes from her again. What had changed his mind? Why was he helping her now?

Merely weeks ago he threatened to take her to the Town Guards. Now he was suggesting she stay in Wickhurst?

*****

"He claims he needs fresh air," Nicholas murmured inside the carriage. "The entire bloody Town does not have fresh air unless you are under a bloody hole!"

Maxine pursed her lips to keep herself baring her teeth. She did not know why Maxwell had insisted that he sit with the carriage driver, but she was quite certain she had something to do with it. Did he think she could not handle the journey simply because she was a woman?

But surely he would not think that? He had let her sleep on the floor. He had let her suffer the journey to Willowfair.

Perhaps he simply needed fresh air, she silently reasoned to herself for she did not wish to entertain any thoughts about Maxwell Everard being concerned about her wellbeing. For now, she had to focus on keeping Nicholas from this dire tirade about his brother. It had been going on for nearly an hour since they had left Willowfair.

The rest of the family had not yet departed as Margaret asked for another day so her adopted daughter, Fiona, could have a longer stay with the Haverstons.

Nicholas and Maxwell had claimed to have prior engagements in Wickhurst they could not postpone, thus they were all relieved.

Maxine was thankful that Ysabella did not seek her out since their last encounter. The woman dared not even notice her when she entered the parlor earlier. She merely wished that Ysabella could keep this secret long enough for Maxine to finish what she had set out to do.