XXVI. Announcements

"I believe you do not have an actual plan?" Maxine asked the very moment the carriage drew away from the Wakefield residence. "Which is why I ought to tell you, my lord, what I plan to do."

But it seemed that Maxwell was not listening for he asked, "I wonder why you decided to wear a dress?"

Maxine ignored him and continued, "I expect that your task is merely to accompany me to Willowfair so I do not put myself in danger. You will stay in the townhouse Lord Wakefield has rented in my behalf while I go and knock on my mother's door."

He tore his eyes off her blue dress and met hers. "I do have a plan."

She rose in brow with a mocking smile. "You mean to tell me about your acquaintance? Surely you must know that I am not daft, my lord, for I know there is no such person! You have merely been playing me!" She tore her gaze away from his and absently smoothened the skirts of her dress. "But fret not for I have not revealed your devious plans to your sister."

He was silent for a long while as the carriage drew them farther away from Wickhurst. Maxine was not uncomfortable with his intense gaze, but she was growing frustrated by his presence. He had succeeded in taking over the task of taking her to Willowfair and she felt utterly defeated.

She felt like a puppet being passed around from one hand to another. Yes, she may find everything outside of Theobald new and she was stranger to most of them, but how could she prove she was capable if people like Maxwell Everard thought that she could not go on her own? And in addition to that, he had been planning to use her to spare his family from the so-called wrath of Osegod and the Trilbys!

"I will not allow you to use me or force me into helping you with your plans against Osegod or the Trilbys," she said without looking at him. He remained silent. "How do you expect me to do so when I am not even quite sure if my mother would accept me?"

*****

Maxwell studied her composed feature. She appeared to be strong as she wanted to appear, but her words were enveloped with complete uncertainty, one that stroke a nerve within him.

He never pitied her for he found it pathetic to do so. She did not need his pity. But at that brief moment when she sounded lost and uncertain, he could not help but be sympathetic.

"You do not have to be chummy with your mother. No one expects you to." They could always threaten Amelia Trilby to provide them with information. He could use Maxine to do so. Surely, the woman would not want to have her dark secret revealed.

At his last statement, her eyes wavered. Maxwell's jaw tightened. "A part of you wishes that she will welcome you."

A flicker of fury crossed her pale grey eyes. "Do not attempt to understand me, my lord," she snapped. "Someone like an Everard would never understand what it feels."

"I can understand what it feels to be abandoned. We do," he said in defense.

Her lips quirked into a sardonic smile. "Of course, most of us do." She turned to meet his eyes. "But not all knows how it feels to be unwanted."

A shiver ran up his spine.

"Again, my lord, I do not wish to be part of your plan. Whatever it is you want to achieve against the Trilbys or Osegod, do spare me."

Maxwell shrugged, not entirely certain how to respond to that. Osegod had not done anything as of the moment, but he could not let another accident happen. Mayhap she need not be part of the plan. She need not take part in it. Mayhap her very presence in this world was enough to threaten a Trilby.

*****

After hours of silence with nothing but the sound of the carriage wheels against the ground and the constant sounds of the horses, Maxwell heard Maxine's loud sigh.