XXXVI. Our Own Chaos

The bustling town of Wickhurst, its gossipmongers, the quite-more-decent folks and even friends of the Everards were ignorant of the slight mayhem that followed the arrival of Maxwell Everard and his wife. Perhaps the servants had their ears pressed against the walls, hearing the incessant gasps and exclamation coming from their mistresses and masters, but none of them would dare let the story out as it was apparent that the Everards would wish the news be kept a secret—for now, of course.

Maxine could not believe that Maxwell was completely calm, utterly at ease in his chair while his mother fanned herself with her hands.

"I—I—" Lady Alice started once more, looking around the parlor at her seemingly amused children.

Ysabella and Wakefield were seated behind her, keeping quite a good distance from the lady for they knew they were in on the secret that ought not to have been a secret. Emma was studying Maxine with a small smile on her lips. Margaret was gaping at Maxwell with a mixture of amazement and shock, her husband standing behind her with a knowing grin. Nicholas was whistling a happy tune beside the astonished Ralph, pretending that he had known all along.

Maxine was quite certain that she would be seeing Benedict and Levi soon enough the moment her family's arrival could be determined. If she were lucky, their wives might opt to skip the messy meeting.

"Another Tiny Town wedding!" Lady Alice gasped out, gripping Emma's hand. "Maxwell Arthur Everard, you—" she stopped and gave up, shaking her head.

Maxine bowed her head, utterly aware of the woman's disappointment.

"I have always known you are capable of it," Lady Alice said, making Ralph scoff and Nicholas to snicker. Margaret let out a surprised snort as did Emma. "You are the sort to do it, of course—but it is not funny! All of you, stop laughing!"

Maxine flinched and she felt Maxwell's reassuring hand cover her hand. He gave it a squeeze before he dryly stated, "Are you angry, Mother, because I eloped or because you were not invited?"

She could not let the answer pass without witnessing Lady Alice's reaction so Maxine lifted her eyes and found the woman's eyes wide, looking quite scandalous. "Both, of course!" She stood and paced the center of the parlor as her children followed her with their eyes. "I have made your father promise that we are to be the last to elope to Tiny Town. But it seems he perished without relaying such promise to his sons!" Maxine nudged Maxwell's side when her husband chuckled inwardly but he was not the only one for the others were doing the same. "First Levi and then you!" she turned to throw Ralph and Nicholas a murderous look. "Are you to be next?"

"I have already reserved the largest church for my wedding in the future, Mother," Nicholas lied.

"Your gown is already being made by Madam Vernice as we speak," Ralph followed laughingly. "I believe it shall be more beautiful than my future bride's."

Lady Alice's eyes flickered with annoyance. "Dare not mock me!" She whirled to face Maxwell and scowled. "And you sit there completely at ease!"

"I am conserving my energy, Mother," her husband stated. "As you must already realize, I shall soon suffer a rather thorough beating from two very angry brothers."

"One you fully well deserve!" Alice Everard snapped. She was nearly panting with extreme emotions that she had been displaying, ones that ranged from surprise, amazement, fury, joy and then back to fury. She was about to continue her tirade but when her eyes landed on Maxine and their joined hands, she paused and let out a heavy sigh. "Oh, dear lord, a Theobald! Who would have thought!"

"And now the truth just came to her," Maxwell muttered near Maxine's ear. "The worst is over."

"Oh, what do I tell your parents, dear?" Lady Alice uttered, walking over to snatch Maxine's hand from Maxwell's. "I have never met you, but I do know about you."