Chapter Seven | Siblings

It took Sebastian about an hour, but he eventually found Darrel in the park. He sat next to her on the bench.
    "What's up?" Sebastian sighed.
    "I can't handle this!" Darrel exclaimed, "I'm only fourteen!"
    "You can do this, I believe in you."
    "In the past month, my entire life has gone crazy."
    Sebastian looked at her, "Listen to me Darrel, you are more than capable of doing this."
    "Sebastian, I'm the daughter of earl, who wishes to be a commoner. Suddenly, I find out that I'm to be the Princess of Wales!"
    "Actually, you are the Princess of Wales."
    "You are not helping."
    "Sorry, sorry."   
    Darrel groaned, "My life is such a mess."
    "I promise you, being a princess is not that bad."
    "It's not just that. I've just found out that the people who raised me aren't my biological parents. That's the biggest shock of all."
    Sebastian gave her a hug, "I am so sorry."
    "I suppose I should go apologize to them."
    "That would be wise. They are your parents and the King and Queen."
    "Fine. Let's go."

    When they returned to the palace, Darrel entered the drawing room where her biological family was discussing politics.
    "I owe you an apology," Darrel curtsied, "I'm confused about this situation and frustrated at Papa, and I reacted poorly. I am sorry."
    "No worries m'lady," King George nodded, "I understand how hard this must be for you."
    "Is...is there any way I could stay at Downton? I understand my duties to this country but...I don't want to leave my home."
    "This is your home!" Queen Mary exclaimed.   
    "What my mother means," David interrupted, "is that as a future queen, you should be here in order to prepare."
    "That is not what I mean."
    "I believe his grace is trying to make sure nobody says anything they'll regret," Sebastian  shrugged.
    "Oh..."
    David stood up and poured himself another drink, "If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to speak to Lady Darrel alone."
    "Very well," King George sighed.
    The king and queen headed out. Sebastian gave his friend a hug and followed.
    "Please, sit," David nodded, gesturing to the armchair.
    Darrel sat down, and he sat across from her.
    "Can I get you something drink?" David offered.
    "No thank you, your highness," Darrel replied.
    "Okay, let's get a few things straight. Firstly, you are allowed to address me by my first name. My real one. Secondly, if you are feeling formal, just use 'sir' after saying 'your highness' the first time."
    "Sorry, sir."
    "I...I want to apologize."
    "For what?"
    "For all that has happened. I feel slightly responsible for all of this."
    "It's not your fault."
    "I still feel bad."
    "Please sir, do not."
    David took a sip of his drink.
    "May I ask you a question?" Darrel wondered.
    "Of course," David assured.
    "Is...is her majesty always..."
    "Like that?"
    "Well..."
    "I'm afraid she is. You'll soon learn how to deal with her tongue."
    Darrel laughed.
    "My parents might not be as willing. But if you need any help at all, for anything, except perhaps boy troubles, all you have to do is ask."
    "Thank you...David," Darrel nodded.
    "I'm going to bed. Don't stay up to late."
    "I can't stay here. Everything is at my aunt's house."
    "I'll arrange for a driver to take you back."
    "I can perhaps visit tomorrow."
    "Until tomorrow then."
    "Until tomorrow."
    David got up, bowed, and showed his sister out.