Chapter Thirty-Eight | The Ball

Later that evening, Darrel was in her bedroom, as Lily finished getting her ready for the ball.
"You look incredible Your Highness," Lily informed.
"Thank you," Darrel smiled, "you've done an amazing job."
"Thank you ma'am."
Lily got back to work when there was a knock at the door.
"Come in!" Darrel called.
The door opened and David entered with Sebastian. Both men sunk into bows.
"Your Highness," they greeted.
"You look stunning," Sebastian grinned, going over and planting a kiss on his fiancée's head.
"Thank you Seb," Darrel nodded, "you don't look so bad yourself."
Sebastian chuckled.
"Alright, you're all finished ma'am," Lily announced, as she gathered her things, "is there anything else you need?"
"No, thank you Lily," Darrel replied.
"Very good m'am."
Lily bobbed a curtsey and left the bedroom. David approached his sister and placed a hand on her shoulder.
"Are you ready for this?" David inquired.
"As ready as I'll ever be," Darrel shrugged.
David couldn't help but laugh as he produced a small jewelry box from his pocket.
"I wanted to give you your gift before everyone arrived," David informed, "happy birthday."
Darrel gave him an appreciative smile as she took the box and opened it. Inside was a silver necklace with a pendant that had 'Elizabeth Darrel Windsor' engraved on it.
"David, it's beautiful," Darrel gasped.
"I'm glad you like it," David replied.
"I love it. Thank you."
Darrel stood up and gave her brother an awkward hug.
"Well, I'll leave you two alone. Our parents expect us downstairs in half an hour," David announced.
David bowed and walked out of the room. Once alone, Sebastian approached Darrel and they shared a passionate kiss.
"I love you," Sebastian sighed.
"I love you too," Darrel grinned, giving him another kiss.
"Are you ready for this?"
"As long as I have you, I'll be ready for anything."
Sebastian grinned and they kissed again.
"Are your parents here yet?" Darrel asked, going to her mirror to make sure everything was perfect.
"Not yet," Sebastian replied, "they'll be arriving with the rest of our guests."
"It seems weird that I won't be meeting them first."
"I know, but they've had business to attend to."
"I suppose so. I guess we'll just have to excuse ourselves from the ball later. I need to speak with your parents before they return to Spain."
"And you will, my Darling. Don't worry about anything."
Darrel smiled, "You keep me sane."
"If I even am, then that's the hardest job I've ever had," Sebastian said playfully.
The two laughed then went to sit down on the sofa.
"What if this goes horribly?" Darrel sighed, "I feel as if everyone is watching me, and waiting for me to fail."
"Nobody wants you to fail," Sebastian assured. "And, if they are looking at you, it is because you are by far the prettiest girl in the room."
"You are quite the charmer."
"I try my best."
"I am glad that I have you by my side. I don't regret anything."
"Me neither."
They shared another kiss.
"No more kissing," Sebastian smirked, "you'll mess up my suit."
"Good. Then less girls will find you attractive," Darrel smiled.
"I only have eyes for you. Nobody can sway me from you."
Before they knew it, the thirty minutes were over and the couple was summoned downstairs.
"Don't worry Darrel," Sebastian assured, "I'll be right there by your side. I will be tonight, and for the rest of our lives."
Darrel smiled, took him by the arm, and the two of them walked downstairs towards the ballroom.

They entered the sitting room attached to the ballroom to find David and his parents waiting. Darrel had her hair tied up in a bun, with a braid running around it. She was wearing a long, light blue ballgown with a sparkling jewelled sequence. With the addition of her tiara, she truly did look like a princess.
"You look passable," the queen approved.
"Mother!" David cried out in an exasperated tone, "You can be more generous than that! She looks beautiful."
"Indeed you do," King George V nodded, "you clean up nicely."
"Thank you sir," Darrel curtsied. (Though she was unsure how she felt about her parents' supposed compliments).
"Are you ready?"
"As ready as I'll ever be sir."
"Good. Now, when we enter, I will thank everybody for attending, and then the dancing shall begin with you having the first dance with Sebastian. Afterwards, be sure to dance and have conversations with your guests," King George V informed.
"Yes sir," Darrel replied.
"Come. Let's not keep our guests waiting any longer."
King George held out his hand for Queen Mary, Darrel took hold of Sebastian's arm and David trailed behind them. His Majesty nodded to the nearby guard, who opened the doors to the ballroom.
"Their Royal Majesties: King George the Fifth, and Queen Mary of Teck. Their Royal Highnesses: Princess Elizabeth of Wales, Prince Sebastian of Spain and His Royal Highness: Duke David of York," he announced.