Chapter Twenty-Seven | Fathers

A little later, Darrel and Sebastian were outside, sitting underneath one of the large trees on Downton's grounds. Darrel was resting her head on her fiancé's shoulder.
    "Are you alright?" Darrel asked softly.
    "I'm fine," Sebastian groaned, "don't worry about me."
    "But Papa hit you!"
    "No offence to Lord Grantham, but his punch didn't hurt much. Besides, I deserved it."
    Darrel removed her head from Sebastian's shoulder and looked at him.
    "What did you do?" Darrel demanded.
    "I said something that wasn't very kind," Sebastian sighed, "I got frustrated."
    "What did you say to him?"
    "Please Darrel...I feel bad..."
   "What did you say to him?" Darrel repeated, "You know I care about his opinion, so I want to know how hard we'll have to try to get his blessing."
    "He wasn't going to give his blessing...so I told him that I didn't need it, because I had already asked your father," Sebastian said sadly.
    "Are you an idiot?"
    "I said that I felt bad."
    "Why in the world would you say such a thing? You utter..."
    "Darrel, please. I feel bad."
    Darrel groaned.
    "Well, I certainly understand Papa's reaction," Darrel informed, "I would want to punch you as well."
    Darrel got up. Sebastian stood and followed, but Darrel stopped him.
    "Where are you going?" Sebastian asked.
    "I'm going to find Papa, apologize on your behalf, and try and get him to allow me to marry you. Even if he isn't my father, he raised me," Darrel snapped.
    "Should I come with you?"
    "No. Right now Papa doesn't want you in his sight."
    Darrel stormed into the Abbey. Sebastian groaned and sat back down.

    Meanwhile, Cora and Robert were in their bedroom.
    "What is wrong with you?" Cora demanded, "Punching Sebastian? He's your daughter's fiancé, not to mention, the future King of Spain!"
    "He deserved it," Robert snapped.
    "What did he do?"
    "He told me that he did not need my permission to marry Darrel, and that since he had His Majesty's blessings, he is free to do whatever he wants!"
    "He has a point!"
    "What are you saying?"
    Cora took a breath and approached her husband.
    "Robert, I love you," Cora sighed, "and yes, we have raised Darrel as if she was our own daughter. However, Sebastian has a point. If he has His Majesty's permission to marry the future queen, then they can go ahead."
    "I'm her father!" Robert roared.
    "Yes, I know that darling. But in this circumstance, I have to side with Sebastian. You don't have an opinion in the matter. This entire visit was out of curtesy, not to actually get permission."
    Robert glared at her as there was a knock on the door.
    "Come in," Cora called.
    The door opened and Darrel walked in cautiously.
    "If you're here to change my mind..." Robert started.
    "Papa, I am so sorry that Sebastian spoke to you the way he did," Darrel announced, "it was completely out of line, and you had every right to react the way you did. I've already spoken to him, and he is sorry."
    "Why didn't he tell me that himself?"
    "Because neither of us want to him get knocked unconscious."
    Robert rolled his eyes as he sank into the armchair.
    "Darrel, you know I love you," Robert said.
    "Yes, of course Papa," Darrel nodded.
    "And everything I do, I do for you. I only do what I think is best for you. I always have, and I always will, even if I'm not your father."
    "You will always be my father!"
    Robert gave her a slight smile.
   "Then, I hope you will come to understand my decision for why I will not support your marriage," Robert requested.
    "What?" Darrel exclaimed.
    "Darling, I love you. But you're too young to get married. You're just settling into your role as the Princess of Wales. You don't need to be tied down at the moment."
    "But, this is what I want. Sebastian makes me happy."
    "Sebastian is dull. You'll find someone much better. Someone who is much more worthy of your love."
    Darrel turned to Cora for help.
    "Robert, this is what our daughter wants," Cora reminded.
    "She is confused!" Robert roared.
    "Papa!" Darrel cried, "I know this is hard to believe, but I am growing up! I think it's kind of you to want to look out for me, but this is what I want. I am not confused! I love Sebastian, I want to marry him!"
    "This is their fault, isn't it?"
    "Whose fault?"
    "Their majesties. Are they forcing you to marry him?"
    "No, of course not! They only found out after he proposed!"
    "So they claim. What sort of man proposes before asking the father?"
    Darrel took a deep breath before saying, "The kind of man that was proposed to."
   At this, Robert gasped as he stood up.
    "You proposed to Sebastian?" Robert cried.
    "Yes," Darrel nodded, "we didn't want to tell people, because nobody would understand such a thing. But I proposed to Sebastian, which is why, his majesty wasn't told first."
    "I think that's very modern of you dear," Cora smiled.
    "Thank you Mama."
    "Cora!" Robert roared, "Are you going to pretend that this is normal? Our child is merely fourteen! And she proposed to...that...that man!"
    "That man has a name!" Darrel protested, "It's Sebastian, and he's not only my fiancé, but a future king. Please accord him some respect!"
    "I will not let you marry him! I will not allow you to throw away your life!"
    "Papa, please."
    "No! I am sorry Darrel. But you don't seem to know how to care for yourself. Therefore, I must do it for you."
    Darrel felt a tear roll down her cheek.
    "Papa," Darrel said softly, "I love him."
    "You think you do," Robert replied harshly, "but in a few months you will see that this is for the best."
    "No, I won't. I am going to marry him."
    "I won't allow it. He does not have my permission."
    "Papa, please..."
    "Darling, I know this is hard..."
    "Papa! I am not a child anymore!" Darrel cried, shaking with anger, "Stop treating me like one!"
    "When one is talking about doing foolish things, one must treat them as one would treat a child," Robert said calmly.
    "Marrying Sebastian isn't foolish."
    "Yes, it is. Only a fool would think otherwise. This is for the best."
    "No, it's not. And Sebastian's right, I don't need your permission to get married, or frankly, to do anything."
    Darrel started to leave, but Robert grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her back towards him.
    "Robert, let her go," Cora said firmly.
   Robert ignored his wife and turned back to the princess, "I have given you everything. How dare you do this to me! How dare you treat me as if I mean nothing to you! You ought to have some respect for me!"
    "Papa! Get off me!" Darrel cried, as she managed to get out of his grip.
    "You are no daughter of mine," Robert spat.
    Darrel's eyes filled with tears as she rushed out of the room.
    "What is wrong with you?" Cora demanded.
    "I think I'll sleep in my dressing room tonight," Robert informed, and stormed out.

    When Darrel got out of the Abbey, she found Sebastian waiting for her.
    "Darrel!" Sebastian gasped, on seeing her tears, "What happened?"
    "We need to get out of here," Darrel sobbed.
    "What happened?"
    "I'll explain later. But, we can't stay here. Come on, we need to go back to London."
    Sebastian put an arm around her and they headed back to the train station.

    A few hours later, the two of them returned to Buckingham Palace and met King George in the hallway. Sebastian and Darrel either bowed or curtsied.
    "I didn't expect the two of you back so quickly," the king observed, "I expected you to stay at Downton much longer."
    "There was a slight change in plans, your majesty," Sebastian informed.
    "How did it go with Lord Grantham then?"
    "Not as well as I had hoped, your majesty," Darrel sighed, "but it doesn't matter. My father has given us his blessing, therefore, we are still able to get married."
    "Indeed you are. I am sorry that Lord Grantham was not on board."
    "No worries, sir. Hopefully he will come around eventually."
    "Hopefully. If not, it is his loss. You two are the perfect couple."
    Sebastian and Darrel looked at each other shyly, and blushed.
    "I'm afraid it'll only be the three of us for dinner," his majesty informed, "the others are at a charity event. So, why don't you two change, and meet me in the drawing room?"
    "Of course sir," Darrel nodded.

    A little later, the three of them were in the drawing room, sitting awkwardly.
   "So...Elizabeth," King George said, "it's your birthday soon, isn't it?"
    "Yes, your majesty," Darrel nodded, "in a month."
    "Well, we should do something."
    "Really, sir, that is not necessary."
    "Of course it is! It's not everyday your daughter turns fifteen. Besides, this will be the first time I will be able to celebrate with you. Sebastian, what are your thoughts?"
    "I'm sure anything we do, whether it be big or small, will be special, as long as Lady Dar, I mean, Lady Elizabeth is present," Sebastian shrugged.
    "How sweet. Well, I shall discuss it with her majesty when she returns, but I think we should throw a ball in your honour."
    "A ball?" Darrel repeated, "For me?"
    "Yes," his majesty nodded, "we wanted to throw one to celebrate finding the heir, and this way, we can combine both events."
    "Well, that is very nice of you sir, but, I don't need a ball."
    "There has to be a ball announcing you as the Princess of Wales. Since your birthday is coming up, we're simply combing the two."
    "There isn't a way to get out of this...is there, sir?"
    "None at all."
    "Very well," Darrel sighed, "thank you sir."
    King George smiled as he took a sip of his drink. Darrel groaned. Sebastian gave her a sympathetic smile as he pulled her into his arms.