Chapter Thirty-Seven | Power and Admiration

Darrel woke up the following morning and headed downstairs, bumping into Rosamund.
"Sorry Aunt Rosamund!" Darrel cried.
       "Oh no worries Dear," her aunt nodded, "where are you off to in such a rush?"
"I have an errand to run before I return to The Palace."
        "Are you ready for the ball?"
        "Not at all," Darrel groaned, "it's going to be awful!"
        "I'm sure you're exaggerating," Rosamund shrugged.
        "I assure you that I'm not."
        Rosamund rolled her eyes, but was unwilling to argue with her stubborn niece.
        "Can I borrow the car?" Darrel requested.
        "Of course," Rosamund replied, "I'll have it come once we're finished with breakfast."
        "No time for breakfast. I need to go."
        "But..."
        "Thank you for the hospitality Aunt Rosamund, goodbye!" Darrel said hastily before running out the front door.
        Rosamund couldn't help but laugh at her niece's attitude. As a child, Darrel always rushed from place to place; without ever explaining herself. It was nice to see her act like a child once more.

        A little later, Darrel arrived at Grantham House and rang the doorbell. The front door swung open and she came face-to-face with Thomas.
        "Your highness," he bowed.
        "Never call me that again," Darrel smirked, stepping into the house.
        "As you wish m'lady."
        "Where's the Dowager Countess?"
        "Her Ladyship is in the dining room with the rest of the family having breakfast."
       "Thank you Mr. Barrow."
        Darrel turned to head to the dining room when Thomas called out to her.
        "Happy birthday. And good luck at the ball tonight...m'lady," he nodded.
        "Thanks Tommy," Darrel smirked.
        Thomas gave her a bow then lead the way to the dining room.
        "Her Royal Highness, Darrel Crawley," Thomas announced, opening the door.
        "Thank you Barrow, but I think I know who my sister is without the announcement," Mary replied, rolling her eyes. "Especially with it being her birthday."
        "I thought it was rather funny," Tom shrugged.
        "Here, here," Darrel nodded.
        "Happy birthday. Come, sit Darling," Robert requested, "have something to eat."
        "I would love to, but I don't have the time. I need to be at the Palace by now."
        "Then what are you doing here?"
        "I need to speak to Granny."
        Everyone's heads turned to face the Dowager Countess, who simply shrugged.
        "What do you need from me Dear?" Violet inquired.
        "I need a quick word with you...in private," Darrel requested.
        "Oh very well."
        Violet stood up and followed Darrel out of the dining room.
        "Heavens, what's that all about?" Mary wondered.
        "I haven't the faintest idea," Isobel replied.

        "What is so urgent?" Violet sighed, entering the library.
        Darrel closed the door behind them before turning to face her grandmother.
        "I know you sent Paul to Spain," Darrel informed.
        "He told you this?" Violet assumed.
        "I guessed. Paul's jealousy gets out of control sometimes, but he isn't clever enough to decide on his own to go to Spain. You sent him to find dirt on Sebastian."
        "Well, I always knew you were the smartest amongst your sisters."
        Darrel rolled her eyes.
        "You had no right to do any of this!" Darrel exclaimed. "You have no right to know about Sebastian's past, and Paul could've been arrested."
        "Well, he wasn't, and he was willing to go," Violet explained.
        "You knew he would never had said no. He's in love with me, hates Sebastian and he fears you."
        "I know you're upset with me Darrel. But, I did this for your own good."
        "My own good?! It was a terrible plan. It was poorly executed and pointless. Why on Earth would you do something like this?"
        "Watch how you speak to me young lady," Violet said sternly.
        Darrel bit her lip and stared directly into the Dowager's eyes.
        "I can speak to you in whichever way I like," she reminded, "for I'm the Princess of Wales."
        "See?" Violet exclaimed, "Their majesties have changed you, for the worse!"
        "I am simply reminding you that you weren't acting as a caring grandmother when you sent Paul to Spain. You were interfering with your future queen's life, as well as the Prince of Spain's."
        "I care about you Darrel. I will not apologize for looking out for my granddaughter."
        "Well then it's good that I'm not looking for an apology," Darrel snapped.
        "Then why are you here?" Violet demanded.
        "To give you a direct order, as the Princess of Wales, to stop meddling in my affairs."
        Violet gave a small nod, "Fine."
        "Good day Granny," Darrel replied.
        As Darrel left the room, Violet was, for the first time ever, speechless.