Chapter Fifty | Our Spot Pt. 2

Allen awoke by someone kicking his bed. Out of instinct he punched in the direction of the kicking, but hit air. He sat upright then turned on the lamp next to his bed, peering around the room. Allen looked down to see Darrel crouching by the side of the bed. She wore a farm dress, had a suitcase next to her, and put a finger against her lips.
     "I need your help," Darrel whispered.
     "What is it your highness?" Allen asked, in a hushed tone. "Are you alright?"
     "I have to go to Downton, but I don't want the others to know."
     "Why not ma'am?"
     "I don't want any other guards coming, and...and I don't want the prince to come with me."
     Allen gave her an understanding nod. He didn't know the details, but everyone heard that Darrel went looking for Sebastian at a bar.
     "I don't know ma'am...I could lose my job over this," Allen reminded.
     "I'll tell Their Majesties that it was my fault, and that I forced you to come with me," Darrel assured. "Besides, this way you can see Thomas."
     Allen did his best not to glare at her (if it were anyone else besides the Princess of Wales, he would have). But he let out a heavy sigh as he got out of bed then headed to his wardrobe to change.
     "Don't wear your uniform," Darrel ordered.
     "I figured," Allen nodded. "How many days are we going?"
     "I'm not sure. Bring a small bag just in case."
     "Will do."
     "Hurry up. We're going to catch the milk train."
     Allen forced himself to not roll his eyes at the princess' absurd plan. He grabbed a change of clothes and headed into his adjoining bathroom to get ready. Darrel let out a heavy sigh and went to sit on the bed, burying her head in her hands.
     A few minutes later, the guard walked out of the bathroom to find the princess weeping. He took a deep breath before approaching her.
     "Your Highness?" Allen asked. "Are you okay?"
     "I'm fine," Darrel assured, wiping away her tears. "Come on, let's go."
     "Yes ma'am."
     "Once we leave this room, you cannot use any formalities. I don't want to draw any attention to us."
      "I understand."
      Darrel wiped away the last of her tears, stood up and headed towards the door, followed by her bodyguard.

      About an hour later, Darrel and Allen sat in a train cabin on the milk train. They were able to sneak out through the servants' entrance, with the help of oversized jackets. Darrel stared out the window, tears still streaming down her face. Not knowing what to say, Allen kept his eyes fixed to the ground as he fidgeted with his hands.
     "Thank you for doing this," Darrel nodded.
     "You're welcome," Allen replied.
     "I am sorry if I put you in an awkward position. I appreciate you coming with me."
     "Well, it's better that you came to me instead of sneaking off on your own. It wouldn't be safe for you."
     "See? I'm learning."
     Allen cracked a smile.
     "Can I ask why you feel the need to sneak off to Downton?" Allen asked.
     "I need some space," Darrel explained. "And going to Downton buys me more time than if I went to my aunt's."
     "They will call Downton as soon as they know that you left."
     "I left a note saying that I went for an early walk. Besides, I don't intend on staying at the house."
     "Where will you stay?"
     Darrel opened her suitcase and pulled out an envelope, then handed it to her guard.
     "Once we get to Downton I want you to go up to the house and place this on the servants' doorsteps," Darrel informed.
     "And what will you do?" Allen inquired.
     "I'll come with you, but stay far away from the entrances in case someone comes to the door."
     "This seems risky."
     "It's hard to explain, but I know what I'm doing. I need you to trust me."
     "I do."
     Darrel gave him a tight smile, then remained silent for the rest of the journey.

     Later that morning, the servants of Downton Abbey were in the servants' hall for breakfast. Andy entered the room and handed Thomas an envelope.
     "What is this?" Thomas asked.
     "I'm not sure," Andy shrugged. "I found it with the newspapers."
     Thomas nodded as he opened the letter. He had to bite his lip to stop himself from gasping at its contents: Come to our spot as soon as you read this.
     "Molesley, I need you to take care of breakfast," Thomas ordered, as he stood up.
     "And where are you off to?" Mrs. Hughes inquired.
     "I have urgent business to attend to."
     "Is everything alright?"
     But Thomas didn't answer, since he already left.
     "What was that all about?" Daisy wondered. "What was in the envelope?"
     "I'm not sure," Andy replied. "There was no return address."
     "What urgent business could Mr. Barrow have to attend to?" Molesley asked. "He doesn't have a life outside of Downton."
     "Don't be mean," Anna requested.
     Molesley didn't reply and kept eating.