Chapter 2: Cripple Creek

Nessa's eyes roamed over the crowd and the fairgrounds, still surprised at how small and unassuming the place looked. She stopped short of calling it derelict, but it hadn't been what she pictured at all. Despite its humble air, that didn't stop people from coming.

The weekend apparently started with a Rodeo Kick-off Party at one of the other Casinos in town, which they'd missed the night before. Her prayer for distance from the Buchannon brothers went unanswered, as they'd shared a pancake breakfast with them that morning and watched the Kick-off Parade, both of which took place on the street right in front of their hotel.

Despite Bailey being the participant, it became clear quite quickly that both cowboys were well known in the rodeo circuit. Based on snippets of the frequent and numerous conversations she'd overheard, Thane had once been a rodeo participant himself.

She wondered what stopped him, though she hadn't had a free moment to ask even if she'd wanted. The boys hadn't abandoned her and Reba, but their attention had easily been commandeered by the plethora of people around them. They'd come to the fairgrounds when the gates opened to make sure Bailey was all set for his events and there had been no shortage of people greeting - and fawning- over the Buchannons.

Eventually she and Reba had excused themselves to look around, taking in the 4-H kids raising pigs, goats, cows and other livestock. They'd finally ended up at the small set of bleachers that overlooked the arena for all the rodeo events. She'd caught sight of Thane and Bailey in the mass of cowboys by the chutes, but she had no idea when either one would actually seek them out again.

Bailey would be bronc riding this afternoon, bulls tomorrow.

And if all that wasn't enough, Nessa had caught wind of a Street Dance scheduled for that night on Bennett Avenue. The same street that housed their hotel. She couldn't help but wonder how many of the girls milling about the fairgrounds in their white western hats and cowgirl boots would be vying for the attention of the Buchannon brothers.

Beyond that, if they had so many obvious admirers, why in the world did those two cowboys take such an interest in her and Reba?

She glanced over at her friend to find her frowning at her phone. "What's the matter?"

Reba shook her head and rolled her eyes. "I still can't get in touch with Jer. I've left him voicemail, texts and a Facebook message. I don't know what the boy is doing that has him so busy, but I wish he'd hurry up and respond."

Her brother, Jeremy, was the one who lived up in Boulder and had promised to house them for the summer. Without him, they might as well turn around and go home.

"Don't worry about it Reba. We're not due in Boulder until sometime tomorrow anyway. I'm sure we'll hear from him by then."

She heaved a sigh of frustration reserved only for siblings and then locked her phone, her gaze scanning the amassing crowd around them. "Sure are a lot of people here for it being such a rinky-dinky little fair."

Nessa grinned. That was a good way to describe it. "I thought the same thing. I've also noticed how many of those people seem to know the Buchannons."

Reba nodded, her head turning towards the chutes to search for Thane and Bailey. "Particularly the amount of pretty cowgirls. Think if I go buy myself a hat and a pair of boots, I'd be in the running for Bailey's attention?"

Nessa cocked an eyebrow, looking at Reba from the corner of her eye. "Do you want to be in the running for his attention?"

Reba looked back at Nessa with a grin. "Well, he is awfully cute. And nice. And a Christian to boot."