Chapter 6: Rescue

Nessa found another pot of coffee waiting in the office the next morning and another note on her keyboard, but thankfully it didn't bring tears. She eyeballed it as she poured a cup of coffee, wondering if she even wanted to read it, but curiosity got the better of her. She sank into the desk chair with a resigned sigh and reached for it with a trembling hand.

I'm sorry for all the tears I've caused the past few days. I've only pushed so hard because I care. When I see other people hurting, I hurt too. I promise to give you your space and honor your wishes, but please know that should you ever want to unload or talk, I'm happy to lend an ear. I'll be praying for you.
Enjoy the coffee – and the peace and quiet in my brother's absence.

Nessa smiled, glancing around the small space, not sure if she'd miss Bailey or relish the solitude. Though his ankle still bothered him, he'd declared himself capable of riding with Thane again and had left to go help prep the horses. She'd definitely accomplish more without him around.

She sat aside Thane's note, a wave of relief washing through her at the knowledge he wouldn't push his desire to date her. Then she booted the laptop, sipping her coffee until she could open her software, and dove in. She lost track of time until she heard the pop of gravel under tires as the trail riders arrived for the day. She glanced out the window to watch as a group of five unfolded themselves from a large, expensive looking SUV. She didn't see Thane or Bailey present to greet them, so she grabbed the reservation list she'd prepped the night before and headed out the door.

The group of two guys and three girls appeared to be in their mid-twenties, not much older than her. They caught sight of her approaching and gathered in front of the SUV. Nessa smiled as she greeted them. "Welcome to the Promised Land. I'm assuming you guys are here for the trail ride today."

The driver nodded, offering her a return smile, and reached out to shake her hand. "That's us."

"I'm Vanessa. Thane and Bailey will be your guides today but at the moment they're still in the barn saddling the horses. They'll give you all a quick lesson on riding before you set out. Until they're ready, I have some waivers and release forms you need to sign."

The group nodded, taking the time to introduce themselves. Nessa checked them off her list, noting that everyone had paid in advance. She took the time to explain the waiver and release forms before everyone signed a copy.

"Have any of you ridden before?" she asked, making conversation until one of the Buchannon brothers showed up.

Only one had and a couple of them looked a little nervous.

"I promise you're in good hands and will enjoy yourselves," Nessa assured them. "I'm new here myself and didn't have much experience, but the guys are great teachers and the horses are very friendly. If you have any questions or concerns at any point, don't be afraid to speak up. We'll be sending a small picnic lunch with you which you typically eat at the top of the ridge."

She turned to point to the spot Thane had taken her on her first ride.

"The view is breathtaking, so make sure you have your phones. You'll want pictures."

"She is pretty breathtaking, isn't she?" a voice spoke up from behind them. She turned to find Thane approaching with a teasing smile. "You might even want to take a few pictures up on the ridge. That's rather pretty too."

The group chuckled at Thane's joke, their eyes darting between her and the elder Buchannon brother. She could tell by their wistful, adoring smiles that the girls immediately assumed they were a happy couple. Nessa did her best to glare at Thane while maintaining a professional demeanor.