14. darkness

I walked toward Alex's house

I walked toward Alex's house. Pulling the leather jacket I had chosen to wear, tightly against my cold body. I could feel the cool December wind nipping at my skin. I probably should have wore something warmer, instead I decided to wear ripped jeans and a black tee. Like I always do.

As soon as I got to Alex's front door, before I could even knock, the door swung open revealing Alex. "Hey Scarlett, come in!" He said with a smile.

"Yeah, sure." I said stepping in, observing his household. "Are your parents home?" I asked.

"Um no. . . they're still at work, why?" He asked raising an eyebrow.

I shrugged off the subject. "Oh nothing, just wondering."

"Okay well come in here." He said pointing toward what looked like the kitchen.

I pulled out a chair and sat down, he did the same. "Okay so I was thinking something simple, like a power point?" I said but he didn't seem to be paying attention. I shifted uncomfortably under his piercing gaze. I pulled my shirt up higher when I noticed what he was staring at. "Alex?" I said again.

"Yeah um sorry I got distracted."

"Yeah, I clearly see that." I said flatly.

"Do you want some water?" He asked and when I nodded, he disappeared for a few seconds and came back with a glass filled with water. I took a long sip. "Listen Scarlett I've been meaning to tell you this but I really like you and-"

"I can see where this is going Alex." I answered. "Sorry I can't."

"No, I just want you to go out with me." He said quickly. "Like a date." He finished with a unsettling smile.

I shook my head. "That's exactly what I meant. No I'm sorry, I can't. Can we just focus on this project? If not it's totally fine I can do it by myself."

His face turned a light shade of red. Was this such a good idea? I couldn't help but feel Deja Vu. This exact situation has happened before. I need to get out. It's happening all over again.

I stood up abruptly grabbing my purse. "I'm sorry, I need to go." I said while heading for the door but he caught me by the wrist.

Then darkness.

---

My eyes opened slowly. Where was I? I don't recognize anything. It's all blue, blue everywhere.

"Hey, I see you've woken up."

I turned to my right to see Alex sitting on a bed. I looked around. I was in his bedroom. But why? That's the question...

"What happened?" I frantically asked rubbing a sore spot on the back of my head.

"Nothing, you passed out." He said simply with a shrug. "You must have been really tired."

"Why am I here though?" I paused eyeing the blue painted room. "In your bedroom?"

"I thought it would be more comfortable for you." He said smiling.

Oh that smile.

My eyes widened in fear. I look down at the floor. More comfortable? That's where I woke up, on the floor. How would I be more comfortable? Tears lingered to pour out.

I need to get out. "I need to go." I said running out of his room toward the front door. Nearly falling down the stairs. I had a bad feeling, that I didn't just pass out. I swung the door open and slammed it behind me. I frantically looking for my car. It was parked across the street. Without looking both ways, like your parents always tell you to, I sprinted towards my car. I noticed someone walking across the street. But I didn't have time to look to see who it was. It's normal right? Yes. It's normal for people to be walking across the street. But not this late. I grabbed my purse and took out my phone, it was 8:00pm. It was already dark out because winter was rolling around. It usually gets dark around 5:00 anyway.

"Scarlett?"

I snapped my head in the direction of the voice. Jace? Why was Jace even here? Why was Jace always just there? Stupid question. He's friends with Alex. Of course he would be here. He didn't need to know anything nor would he probably even care. "Why are you here?" He questioned. 

"No reason" I said flatly.

"But I saw you walking out of Alex's house." He said turning his head to look at Alex's house.

"You know why! We had to do a project together." I yelled a little louder then I had attended to. I didn't realize that tears had fallen over my cheeks. I quickly wiped them away. Why was I crying? Nothing happened. Nothing at all. 

Not even waiting for Jace's response I jumped in my car and closed the door hard as I drove off. 

I read in Jace's diary that Jace knew that something was wrong with Alex. Why did I even come here?

---
Hope that you enjoyed!!!! Vote, comment and share with friends.