30. the real me

"How is Katie?" I asked Jace while we were on his couch watching movies and eating popcorn

I was very happy to be spending time alone with Jace. To be honest though, I didn't know exactly where we stood in our relationship but, I still loved his company. He was a very loving and caring person.

Jace turned to look at me and smiled. "She's okay. I'm sure with time everything will be alright." Jace frowned. "She's been having nightmares."

My heart absolutely broke for Katie. I can't believe Adam hurt another innocent person. Katie was only nine. "I am so sorry, poor girl."

Jace smiled. "Don't feel sorry Scar. On the bright side, she talks about you a lot actually."

"Me?" I asked surprised. "What does Katie want with me?"

"Yeah you." He said mocking me. "You remember when they arrested Adam?"

I nodded. "I'm going. . . to dye my hair back to it's original colour." I blurted out. 

Jace looked at me for a second and smiled looking back at the TV. "That's really great Scar."

"Yeah, I never really liked being a brunette anyway. I did it for Adam and only Adam."

"You're going to look so different Blair—" He stopped talking and looked at me. "I'm sorry I don't know why-"

"It's okay." I cut him off waving a hand in the air. "You can call me Blair if you want. I only had to use the name Scarlett while he was still trying to locate me. Now that he's in jail, I can do whatever I want. I guess I was trying so hard to forget the past but along the way I forgot about the real me."

He pulled me into a tight hug. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have called you that. Just wait till you're ready." He explained, his voice soft.

"Enough with me." I laughed, "You're full of surprises." I said and then I smiled, "Where's Katie right now?"

"She's up stairs sleeping." He answered quickly. "Maybe you should pay more attention to me."

I laughed, "Where is your mom?" I blurted out and I instantly felt sorry. "I mean I never see her around so I just assumed. . ." I trailed off not really knowing what to say.

Jace instantly looked nervous. His eyes moved from me to the ground. "She passed. . . " he sighed heavy, "away a while ago. Just over a year. The day I met you was the anniversary of her death."

I now wrapped my arms around him. "Jace, I'm so sorry. I probably made your day a million times worse." I gasped at my own words.

"It's okay, I don't blame you." He quickly jumped in. "I was still an asshole, and probably always will be." He laughed little.

I laughed along too. "Yeah, it's kind of like my parents aren't with me either. Obviously it's not the same thing but my mother won't talk to me. Instead, she sends me to a therapist. And my dad well. . . my dad does anything my mother tells him to do, it's pretty sad."