Chapter 4

I woke up with a jolt, sweating. I almost forgot what I was so scared about.

Almost.

Breathe Lauren. I told myself. Breathe. It's okay.

But it wasn't. I remember something else. Something about an experiment. People knowing that I know something. But what is that something? It must be really important, since I'm not supposed to know and I'm not safe.

And there was something else. Something the boy, Tyson, said.

You know how Aidan left two years ago without notice?

Aidan. Could it possibly be the boy I met today?

"Morning!" A familiar voice said. "Or should I say, Night?"

I got up into a sitting position on the bed. Bed? Was that right? Wasn't I in that room sitting on a beanbag chair?

Aidan was sitting in a chair, phone in hand, with a smile on his face.

"Do you always sit in the rooms of unconscious girls and watch them sleep?"

He laughed. "No, not always. Just wanted to make sure you're okay. That's all."

I rubbed my head, which started hurting. "Why wouldn't I be okay?"

"Well, for one, you were unconscious for..." He thought about it for a second, "Twenty-seven hours, twelve minutes and thirty-six seconds and-"

"What are you? Some sort of stalker? How'd you get that time so exact?"

He shrugged. "I don't really know. I'm just really good at math and keeping track of stuff."

Silence hovered in the air for a few moments.

"Are you okay." He asked in a small voice.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I lied. Really my heart was thumping. Voices from the dream filled my mind.

"Have you heard about the experiment?"

"Rumor has it that people are taking kids and doing experiments on them. Things like changing their brains somehow. Apparently whoever went under the experiment is somehow stronger and has powers."

"You know how Aidan left two years ago without notice?"

"It was just a bad dream, that's all."

He got up from the chair and walked over to my bed. He sat down, his dark brown eyes looking straight into mine. "You sure?" He asked.

"Well, I think it might be a..." My voice trailed off.

"A what?"

"Nothing." I shot back, annoyed. "Why should I tell you? I've only known you for, like, half an hour. Probably less."

He moved away. "Gosh. You don't have to be that rude, you know."

Another moment of silence. This time, a bit uncomfortable.

Aidan cleared his voice. "I'll be going now."

His steady paces through the room echoed in the quiet room.

"A memory." I said in a quiet voice. "I think it was a memory."

He looked back at me.

"I don't really feel like sharing. Just seems too..."

"Personal?" He questioned.

I nodded.

"It's alright. Some things are better kept to yourself." He said, yet his eyes were full of disappointment.