Chapter 19

Three seconds and we were packed and ready to go. Except there was one problem - or two.

1. Which way were they coming from?

2. How do we escape without being heard?

Aidan and I spent a solid 3.7 minutes (According to Aidan) trying to figure out the answer to those questions. We stay as small and hidden as possible, making sure they can't hear us.

The sun, for the most part, went to bed for the night. All was left was the last rays of sunshine. The stars slowly started coming out.

"So what do we do?" Aidan asks. "Do we just run... anywhere."

I shake my head. "We can't risk it. It took us this much effort to get us out of there, so I'm not going to run, only to get caught again."

In the darkness, I could still somehow see Aidan's worried face. Probably some weird night vision power. I thought. He bites his lip. "Then what do we do, we can't stay here."

You already know the answer, Lauren. The voice said.

Great timing voice, time for you to bore me with your nonsense talking... thinking?

You already know the answer to your problem, Lauren. It said again.

"What do you mean?" I mutter aloud.

"What was that, Lauren?" Aidan asked.

"Nothing, just talking to myself." I still haven't gone around to talk to him about the whole random voice in my head thing.

"Those horrible kids," A different voice says. A guard. "It's better for them to stay locked in the Institute. Imagine what damage they could do with those super powers."

Super powers.

Our way out.

I wasn't quite sure if the guards were right outside or somewhere farther and I'm hearing them with my super hearing. Either way, I had a plan.

"Can you teleport us out of here?" I ask Aidan.

He gives me a puzzled look, then realizes what I'm talking about. "I hardly know how to use it, though."

"How'd you use it last time?"

"I er-" He took a minute to remember. "I just thought about teleporting down there. And even if I can do it, how do I know where to go and if I can teleport you too?"

I run a hand through my hair. Think, Lauren, think. What should we do? Can I risk my own life?

I shouldn't be alive. There's no point in staying alive if I'm destined to do something wrong.

"We'll take our chances." I say. "Think of somewhere other then the Institute and anywhere near here and if I don't teleport with you then that's that. I'll be brought back to the Institute."

Aidan nods slowly. Then says, "Your plans always have so many flaws."

"Come on!" I complain, quietly. "What flaws does this plan have?"

"Número uno," He says, putting one finger in the air. "I haven't been anywhere other than around here and the Institute. I've got nowhere else to go."

"Alright but-"

"Número dos," He interrupts me. "I'm not leaving you. Never, you hear me, Lauren."

I didn't say anything. I couldn't say anything. I tried to say something but all that came out was, "You speak Spanish?"

"A bit." He responded. "But we're going off topic, how do we get out of here?"