Chapter 6

Why do I always pass out and wake up in strange rooms?

That was the first question I asked myself when I found myself in yet another strange room, this time, lying on the ground. The lights were dimmed. The room was all white. There were no windows and barely and furniture. All there was was a table and two chairs.

I stood up. My body ached. How long was I lying there? I thought. I felt dizzy and decided to sit down on one of the chairs.

I thought about what Dr. Henderson and Dr. Walker said. About the disease, how they are going to run tests on me and how my family has been informed about this.

A voice inside my head told me this was all a lie. There was something, I know there was something else about this whole thing. I know it's right there, in my brain. Somewhere in my brain, yet I couldn't find it.

A headache started forming so I put my head on the table.

"Glad to see you're awake." I voice from behind said. I looked up to find Dr. Walker standing next to the door. The lights slowly started to turn brighter.

She walked over to the table, her footsteps echoing in the silent room, sat down in the chair across from me. She was holding a package of paper and couple of pencils.

"So, Lauren, I'll be running your tests and -"

"I don't believe any of this." I interrupted.

"Any of what?" She asked.

"Anything about this disease. This place. I feel fine." I exclaimed. "I bet you I could run a half marathon. What do you want from me, from us?"

She gave me a stern look. "Lauren, I have a job. I don't have time to bicker with you. If you want to run a half marathon, trust me, you'll have time later. Are there any other questions you have before we start the testing."

"Yes," I replied. "I have a couple. One, how long will I be here for?"

"That depends." She replies. "If you make it through testing, maybe until you are about sixteen or eighteen."

Sixteen or eighteen?

"How old am I now?" I asked, realizing I didn't even know my own age.

"Let's see." She said as she grabbed a file from the pile of papers. "Hmm... You turned thirteen two months ago."

Thirteen. That means three to five years.

"Okay." I said. "How long have I been here already? It feels longer than three weeks."

"Since you awoke from the coma?" She asked. I nodded. "Two months."

"Okay, last question. I know you are lying to me about the 'find-a-cure-to-a-disease' thing, so tell me, will I ever find out the truth?"

Dr. Walker crossed her arms. "I don't know what your talking about."

She seemed so innocent. But I know she's lying. I feel it in the air. I have no idea how I feel it but I just do. It's like a tingling sensation. When she answered my first two questions, I didn't feel it, but when she answered that last one, it was there.

"I know you're lying." I said simply.

"I figured you were stubborn." She said. "According to your files, you probably do know that I'm lying. But I can't tell you. It's classified information."

"I knew it." I mumbled under my breath.

"So let's start with the tests."

"I'm not going to do those tests." I snapped at her.