Chapter 12

Pain.

It's the only thing I could feel right now.

"Please stop." I begged to no one. "If anyone can hear, just please make it stop."

Another shock of electricity ran through my body. I let out a loud, glass shattering scream. The pain was unbearable.

I'm so stupid. I thought to myself. Why did I sneak out? Why did I think they couldn't catch us? Tears started flowing down my cheeks.

I ran the images of the past - I don't even know days through my head. When the guards grabbed my shoulders and carried me away from the room. The room where all the secrets were revealed. Except one thing.

What army? Why would they need one anyway?

If the guy who started this whole operation just wanted to help his niece, then why would he use over 300 kids as experiments.

It seems like there's more to this.

Obviously.

But the whole army thing wasn't the only thing bothering me.

It was Aidan.

I remember watching him as I was being dragged away. He was about to run after me but he was held back by these two men. He screamed from them to let him go, or at least not hurt me.

I remember a woman walk over to him and place her hand on his shoulder. I couldn't see her face properly but I remember his words.

"You can't hurt her, mom!"

His words echoed in my head. Mom? It can't. He said he can't remember anything.

Unless he lied.

It hurts me to think that he lied to me. He said I could trust him.

Now, in this small, white room, curled up in a ball, I wonder what I did wrong.

What I did to be lied to by the only person I could trust and what I did to deserve this horrible punishment.

Well, I guess the answer to the second question is easy.

My thoughts were interrupted by another shock of electricity. I clutched myself tighter and waited for the pain to stop. no matter how many times they shocked me, it always hurt the same.

As the pain started fading away, I exhaled after holding my breath for a while. I spread out my arms and legs and stared at the ceiling. I think I'm going crazy in here. Last time, I looked up and saw a starry sky, raining pieces of popcorn. It felt so real and I could almost taste it.

But then again, I haven't eaten or drank anything since getting stuck in here.

I know for a fact that a human being can only spend a maximum of 3 days without water. Meaning that it should be less than 3 days since I've been in here.

Unless... they did something to me to make me survive longer.

I didn't understand what happened next.

It was as if something attacked my brain. A large amount of pain attacked my skull. It felt like a migraine yet 100 times worse.

Breathe Lauren. I told myself. It's going to pass. It'll be over soon.

It honestly did feel like something was attacking my brain. Like someone was rummaging through my brain, looking for something.

I screamed in pain. It echoed in the room, ringing my ears.