Chapter 9

The clock read 10:02 PM. We were about to put my plan in action...

If Aidan decides to show up sooner or later.

I've been pacing the room for the last two minutes. Didn't I say 10:00 sharp? Yes, I know it's only been two minutes but really, did he want to keep a girl waiting?

Gosh, I'm making this sound like we're going on a date.

I shook my head. The last thing I need is a boyfriend. For goodness sake, I don't even know my family. How could I have a boyfriend?

A light knock came from my door. I walked over and swung the door open. On the other side stood Aidan Davis, wearing his black sweatshirt, his dark hair in a mess on top of his head.

"Finally!" I exclaimed. "What took you so long?"

He gave me a questioning look. "So long? It's only been two minutes."

"Still."

He walked inside the room and I shut the door behind him. "Do you know that guards patrol the halls during the night?" He asked. "I've been here for three years and didn't know that. I almost bumped into one of them."

"Why would they guard the halls?" I questioned. He just shrugged. "Maybe it has something to do with what we were thinking about earlier. You know, about the experiment." I suggested.

"Maybe." He replied. "Okay, so what are we gonna do tonight?"

"Well," I started. "I was thinking of maybe breaking into one of the so-called doctor's personal offices. Maybe they have some sort of files of something about us."

"Okay," He replied. "Two questions. One, do you know where the offices are? And two, even if we do find someone's office, how will we get in?"

I pursed my lips. "I thought you might know. Maybe you've been in someone's office before when you got in trouble." He shook his head. He doesn't seem like the breaking rules type. I thought. "Well, then we'll just have to explore the place and find one. And if we do find someones office," I pulled out a bobby pin from my back pocket. "We'll use this to break in."

"Do you know how to use it to unlock doors."

I nodded my head. "I broke into my room twice already."

"Why would you break into your own room?" He questioned.

I shrugged. "Why not?"

He laughed. "So we're going now?"

I pocketed the bobby pin. "Yep. Let's go!"

We walked out the door and into the dark hallway.

"Woah. You'd think they would turn on some lights." I mumbled. "So which way?"

Aidan looked around. "Well, I know the hallway ends after ten minutes or so." He said, pointing to our right. "And before you ask, no, there are no secret passages. I've checked. Multiple times." He said in a disappointed voice.

Maybe he thought of escaping before. I thought. "So I guess we're going left." I said. I saw Aidan nod in the darkness.

"Be quiet. We don't want anyone to wake up and notice us." Aidan said in a whisper.

We quietly walked down the hall. At one point, I took of my shoes so that you couldn't here my footsteps. And that was probably good because my foot falls were kinda loud. We were near the end of the hall, where we would usually enter and exit the dorms. At the front, there were two guards holding flashlights.

"Uh oh." I whispered.

"What do we do?" Aidan asked in a worried whisper.

I swiveled my head around, trying to figure out what to do. And probably the worst thing happened.

I dropped my shoe and it landed on the ground with a loud thump!

"Who's there?" One of the guards shouted. I grabbed my shoe and Aidan and I quickly hid behind a large plant in the middle of the hallway. The guard walked toward us.

It's okay. I told myself. It'll be okay. But then my mind flashed an image of the large knife that I saw on the first day. My mind thought about all the horrible things it could do to me.

I grabbed Aidan's hand for comfort.

I can't be seen. I told myself. I'm invisible. No one can see me.

Aidan and I watched as the guard walked toward us. I held my breath. This is it. I thought. It's the end of the world.

Boy, I exaggerate way too much.

The guard walked right past us. He didn't even glance in our direction. I let go of Aidan's hand and was able to breathe again.

"That was a close one." Aidan said, turning to me. "Lauren? Where did you go?"

"Go? I didn't go anywhere." I said.

"What the heck. Lauren stop fooling around. Where did you go? I know you were here a minute ago.I could also hear you."

"But I'm right here."

"I can't see you."

He can't. I thought. What if...

I closed my eyes. I can be see. I can be seen. I'm not invisible.

"What the heck!" Aidan said in a loud voice. "You weren't there a minute ago."

"But I was." I said.

"But-"

"I think I was invisible." I said.

"That's - that's not possible."

"I think it is."

We sat in silence. In the distance, you could hear the second guard walk away from the entrance.

"Let's go" I said, breaking the silence.

"Lauren," I heard Aidan say from behind.

"What?"

"What if they did something bad to us? Like something illegal? What's gonna happen after we find out what they did to us? Will the world find out if they don't already know? What if we're locked up again?" He asked.

I walked up to him and looked into his worried eyes. "Everything is going to be okay. We'll be free. They can't lock us up. They can't keep kids away from their families. If any of this is illegal, the government will deal with these people. The people behind this. Then we'll be back to our normal lives."

"But we don't remember our normal lives!" He shot back. "This is the only life we remember. What will we do when we are reunited with our families? Wouldn't it seem a bit awkward? Talking to people who know you but you don't know them."

"We're probably gonna get our memories back by then."

"But -"

"But what?" I interrupted, getting impatient.

"But what if we become a threat? I know the people here have been lying to us, but I still believe the part where we could injure people."

I took a deep breathe. Then said, "Everything is going to be okay. Don't worry." And I did something I wasn't even sure about.

I planted a kiss on his cheek. It honestly came out of no where. The thought of kissing this boy never ran through my brain before but it just seemed to happen.

I turned around. "So back to our adventure. To the truth!" I exclaimed and walked toward the darkness.