Chapter 13

I wasn't sure if it was exhaustion or the electric shocks that messed up my senses. Or maybe I just didn't get what he was saying.

"Escaping?" I asked as he dragged me down the hall. "Tonight? Wh-why so sudden?"

"You were the one who wanted to run away. You nor I liked what they did to us here."

"How do you know I wanted to escape?"

"You mentioned it before, didn't you?" He said. "And besides, I saw your escape plan in your room."

"Escape-?"

The escape plan. It didn't cross my mind the last couple days. I almost forgot that I even made one.

"But-"

"It could work." Aidan continued. "Somehow causing a distraction to move the guards away from their posts."

"But, why tonight? Why even run away?"

He stopped in his tracks and turning around. There was a shocked expression on his face. "Are you okay?" He asked. "Did they do something to you?"

To be honest, even I didn't know if I was okay. Those words didn't sound like something that would come out of my mouth. They just came tumbling out.

I couldn't control what I said next. "I don't think think we should escape."

No, we should.

"Maybe we're important to all this. Maybe we could change lives."

Shut up, Lauren. What the hell are you even saying?

"Lauren, they're torturing us. Why in the world would you want to stay here?"

I don't want to stay. I want to go but I can't control what I'm saying.

"And Lauren, they were going to wipe your memory," Aidan said. "And you let them. Do you want them to take away your life again?"

A silence filled the air. The hallway was dark. The only light was from the window, with the moon shining through it. There was no sign of a guard, or in fact, any other human being in this building. I attempted to say some, not sure what words would come out of my mouth.

"I don't think I'm okay," I said, glad that those words were mine. "I think someone is controlling what I'm saying."

He gave me questioning look. "How can someone control what someone is saying?"

"I don't know," I said. "But anyway, we're escaping, right?"

"Well, that's what I said when I woke you up from what looked like a nice nap."

"It was nice. Especially after what happened the last few days."

He didn't look like he was paying attention to me. There was a distressed look on his face.

"Okay, now, are you okay?" I asked.

"Footsteps." He said in a quiet voice. "Someone's coming."

I could hear them too. They slowly got louder. 

"We need to get out of here," Aidan said. "The dorms are at the end of the end of the hallway and to the right. Move quickly, but quietly."

I nodded slowly. We both started walking, making sure our footsteps weren't that loud. This time, I kept my shoes on my feet, so I don't accidentally drop them, if you know what I mean.

I still hate you for that. I thought to myself.

We made it to the entrance way of the dorms, which, as always, was protected by a security scanner. Which in one way was a relief, since if there wasn't one, there would be a guard. However, we'd have to scan our fingerprints, which would reveal that we were here.