Chapter 17

"Lauren!" His voice called. "Lauren, you have to listen to me."

"What?" My voice asks. "You're telling me that we are superhuman with weird powers and I'm supposed to believe that?"

"But it's true," He said. "I - I have powers and my mom said you are like me too."

"But it's not possible!" My voice yelled. "Superhuman people belong in comic books and movies!"

"But they are going to take me away, Lauren." His voice said, sad and scared. "Today."

"Where? To your imaginary prison for superhumans?"

"Lauren, you have to listen to me. You are different. They will come take you too. And you are special. Really special. Mom said you're going to change the world."

I laughed. "Me? Change the world? I'm just a regular ten-year-old girl. I'm not special."

"Mom said you're also dangerous."

"Special and dangerous. What a great mix."

"They're gonna use you, then kill you." He said. "Listen to me, Lauren. I'm trying to help you."

"Well, I don't need your help." My voice said. I hear footsteps echo through the walls, and can somehow feel his chocolate brown eyes on me.

I opened my eyes, only to be blinded by darkness. A mini panic attack made my heart beat faster, wondering if I've gone blind or have been kidnapped. I blinked as my eyes adjusted. Turns out, I was in a dark cave.

But the question was; How'd I get in here?

I sat up and looked around. The cave wasn't that big. There was a big enough entrance/exit and our bags and Aidan's computer lay near it.

Aidan.

He wasn't in the cave, yet he had to be around here somewhere. He probably somehow dragged me in here, then left to do something else. I bite my lip as I think about him, bringing back the question that's tearing me apart.

Can I trust Aidan Davis?

He acts like a friend, but is he actually? Or his he trying to fish out information for them. He seems so mysterious, he just leaves me with a lot of questions.

Can I trust him?

I decide to go outside, to get my mind off the thought. I stand up, almost touching the ceiling of the cave, and brushed off some dust that ended up attached to me. I ran a hand through my hair and stepped outside.

The sun was barely up, only a couple rays of sunlight peaked through the trees. I breathed in the scent of rain. Was is raining last night? Judging by the puddles, probably.

I walk around, my footsteps making a squishing sound in the mud. My thoughts turn to the dream/vision I had.

Who was the boy?

My first thought was this Spencer person, yet something in the back of my mind said that it wasn't him. Something about his eyes. I could be that other boy I remember, Tyson. But I couldn't recall if he had brown eyes or not.

"You're awake." A voice said from behind. I jumped, startled, and turned around.

Aidan stood in front of the entrance to the cave. He held his bow in one hand and what looks like a rabbit in the other. He dropped the items and approached me.