Chapter 10

"Which way do we go?" Aidan asked.

We passed the dining hall, the classrooms and the training grounds. Now, we've hit the end of the hallway and we have two ways to go, left or right.

"I don't-" I started, but then I heard something. "Do you hear that?"

"What?"

Thump. Thump. Thump.

The sounds were steady, like a clock. But then there were voices.

"There were two of them. A girl and a boy. They escaped." A voice said.

"Oh no." I whispered.

"What?" Aidan asked in a loud voice.

"Hey! Who's there?" A different voice shouted.

"Hide!" I said in an urgent whisper.

"Where?"

I looked around. The people could be coming from any direction. Then I spotted a closet right behind us.

"In here. Quick!" I said.

We ran into the closet just before the people caught us. It was dark in there but at least they couldn't find us.

"That was close." Aidan said. "How did they find out we escaped?"

"I don't know. Do you know if they have some sort of tracker on us or something?" I asked. "Or maybe we were caught on a surveillance camera?"

"Or maybe they were looking for a different boy and girl?" Aidan suggested.

I laughed. "I wish. Probably not the case though."

"Do you think they are gone?" He asked.

"I don't-" Something caught my eye. In the pitch black room, there was something glowing. It was faint, but it was glowing.

"What's that?" I asked.

"How am I supposed to know?"

I leaned towards it. "What do you think it is?" I pulled my finger out to touch it.

"Don't touch it! What if it's dangerous?" Aidan said.

Too late. I touched it. At first nothing happened. Then light filled the room.

We weren't in a closet. There were no brooms, mops, nothing that screamed I-belong-in-a-closet. Instead, the walls were plain white. There was nothing in the room. Nothing. The blue light disappeared.

"Uh... where are we?" Aidan asked.

"I don't know!"

Then two long stick-like things came out of the wall.

"What are those?" I asked in a worried tone.

"I don't know!"

They started moving up and down our bodies.

"I think it's some sort of scanner." Aidan said. I nodded.

"Please state last name." I robotic voice said.

Aidan and I didn't know what to do. Should I? I mouthed to Aidan. He shrugged.

"Please state last name." The voice said again.

"Err... Olsen." I said. 

"Welcome Mr. and Mrs. Olsen. Please scan your ID chips." The robotic voice said.

"Mr. and Mrs.?" Aidan whispered. "Hell no, I ain't married."

"Just go along with it." I whispered back. "It's taking us somewhere."