Chapter 14

"Wait, if there's the whole ID scanning, voice scanning et cetera process to get in the stupid lab, workplace, whatever, how will a worker's key card help?" I asked Aidan in a whisper.

We were headed down the same corridor as we did...

"Also, on an unrelated note that now that I think of it, I should've asked this question before," I started. "How long was I... tortured?"

We turned into the hallway where we found the secret closet entry way.

Aidan didn't answer any of my questions. I was still really confused about the plan and I kept on asking the same question over and over again. I either got a "be quiet" in response or nothing.

He walked a couple paces ahead of me.

"Aidan!" I called, a bit louder than a whisper.

"Shut up." He replied, without turning to look at me. "We don't want to be caught."

"What's with the sudden mood swing? You're not taking or answering any of my questions."

"Like I said, I don't wanna get caught." He replied, this time turning around. "Haven't you ever been on a stealth mission?"

"No. And neither have you. Unless you count us trying to find that secret office that other day." I said.

He muttered something and started walking again.

"What was that?" I asked, no longer talking in whispers. "I couldn't quite hear you."

"It was six weeks ago." He called back. "You were unconscious for, like, two weeks. The rest four was when you got..." His voice trailed off.

I could find any words to respond to that. 6 weeks. I thought. Time really does fly in this place.

A tense silence filled the air, except for Aidan's footsteps, which even then couldn't be heard all that well. He then stopped when he realized I wasn't following.

"You coming or not?" He asked.

"Is something wrong?" I asked him. "You seem...off somehow."

"Would you like to hear how this plan will work?" He asked, completely ignoring my question.

"Yes! Please!" I said. "Wouldn't it have been easier if you told be this plan before we left my room though? I mean-"

Aidan placed his hand over my mouth and cut me off. I gave him a look saying What-the-hell-are-you-doing. He didn't say anything, but placed a finger in front of his lips and cuffed his hand over his ear.

Shhh. Listen. Was what he meant.

"You let her escape?!" A faint but angry female voice yelled.

"Ma'am, we didn't let her escape. She escaped herself." Another voice, male, replied.

"She couldn't have. I made sure she was going to want to stay here." The female voice said.

"To be honest, ma'am, you were going to brainwash her into-"

"Oh shut up you son of a-" She stopped. "You truly go after your father, don't you son."

There was a large sound that sounded similar to a clap. A distant memory popped up into my head. Someone's large hands making contact with my face, the sound echoing off the walls. The skin affected stung.

I felt Aidan's hand grab mine. "Come on, we need to go." He said.

"Why aren't you talking quietly. They could be right-"

"They aren't here. It's just your super hearing." He explained as he dragged me towards the secret closet/room.

"My what?" I asked, confused. "How do you know if we have super hearing?"

"I can't explain." He said. "Not yet, at least."

"How many secrets are you keeping from me?" I asked him.

"Okay, so listen." He started, completely ignoring my question. Again. "Since we got caught, I've been trying to figure out how to hack this place's security. I found out how to hack the system. I didn't want to make it seem so obvious that someone hacked in so right before we left your dorm, I changed the security here so we just need to scan the key card."

"Hmmm... you're really helpful after you get passed the moody, not wanna talk to stalker bit." I joked.

"I ain't no stalker!"

"Yes, you are. You freaking watched me sleep that day. And you kept track."

"How do you still remember that though?"

"I just do." I said with a smile.

He grinned back. "So are we going in or what?"

"In where?" I asked.

"The secret entrance. We're here, haven't you noticed?"

I looked around before my gaze settled on the large door in front of me.

"Oh. Let's go in then."

Aidan held the door open. "Right after you, milady."

I laughed. "Well, thank you, kind sir."

I saw a dim light come from the end of the hallway. It slowly got brighter as the person holding the light source got closer.

"Oh no." I gasped. "No time for fun and games. Quick! Inside."

We got in and shut the door behind us. I took a few deep breaths.

"This is getting exciting by the minute." I heard Aidan's voice in the darkness.

I almost regretted this by each second. The thought of what horrible thing we might get punished to do if we get caught kept popping into my mind.

The lights grew brighter by the second when I heard that robotic voice again.

"Please scan your ID chips." The voice said. It mentioned nothing about stating your name for voice recognition.

Aidan hovered the key card over the scanner.

"Welcome Mrs. Cameron Walker." The voice greeted.

The door appeared, just like last time. Aidan poked his head out the door.

"It's clear." He stated. "There's only a couple people here. We still need to be extra careful. There are quite a few guards here."

My heart started pounding. We're almost there. We're so close to escaping this place.

"Okay, listen carefully." Aidan said. "Remember the route to that office?"

I nodded.

"The hallway before it leads to an exit. It's not that far. Probably gonna take us ten minutes or so."

"Okay." Was all I said.

"Ready?" He asked.

Am I ready?

"Ready." I said calmly.