Chapter 4 - "Owens, do you ever shut up?"

The cafeteria thundered around Carter. An endless flow of activity filled her sight as she watched her fellow classmates, flirt, tease, taunt and mock one another. A tray clattered onto her table, but she didn't bother looking over, as Link and Donovan sat down.

"Are you going to make a habit of this?" she asked, grimacing as some guy across the way tried to subtly flex for a girl. 

"I don't know. We haven't decided yet," Link said. "Would you hate it, if we did?"

She didn't respond for a second, then shrugged.

"I probably wouldn't stop you."

Link smirked.

"You're too friendly, I can see why the school loves you."

Carter looked at him.

"What can I say, I was voted most approachable," she said, stealing a fry off of Link's plate.

Link laughed. A slender girl with chestnut curls walked up to their table. Carter gestured to her.

"See, what did I tell you," she said.

The girl frowned at Carter as Link tried to contain his laughter. The girl turned her attention to Donovan.

"Hi Donovan," she said, her voice bright. "Our table has room, if you want to sit with us." She looked to Link. "And...um... you can come too."

Link raised his eyebrows and looked to Donovan, whose face revealed nothing.

"Thanks for the offer, but we're fine here," Donovan said.

The girl looked stunned and stood there for a long minute.

"I'll come," Carter said.

The girl glared at Carter before walking away.

"Well, that was a bit rude," Carter said. "I wonder why she didn't invite me as well? Another mystery for the ages, I guess."

"Yes, they will be working on that one forever," Link said.

She shrugged.

"Why didn't you say yes?" she asked.

Donovan gave her a blank look.

"You want us to leave?" he asked.

"Are you kidding me? You would be surrounded by girls desperate to get your attention. It would be the most entertaining thing to watch. My prediction would be that the brunette would have ended up spilling something on your shirt. Then, apologize profusely while she would try to dry your shirt with her hand."

"Donovan, maybe you should go. I wouldn't mind watching that," Link said, a hint of glee in his voice.

Donovan merely looked at Link, his expressionless face seeming to scream that he was not amused.

"So tell me about your parents?" Carter asked.

Link looked at her.

"You really want us to leave, don't you?" he asked.

"It's a reasonable question. You're sitting at my table. I'm asking about their occupations, not your entire genealogy," she said.

"Normal people usually start off asking about hobbies," Link said. "They usually avoid personal questions until the third day and stick with pop culture for conversation topics."

"Question: in the one and a half days that you have known me, have you ever linked the word normal to me?"

Link shook his head. "Good point."