Chapter 23 -"She can't just show up and do this to us!"

The bus's engine gave a burst of energy and roared off down the street, as Carter crossed the road, making her way towards her apartment. Street lights blinked on as she walked, lighting her path home. 

The place smelled of orange scented cleaner. Every surface had been wiped down and the cushions on the couch had been neatened. Carter dropped her keys into the bowl as Maggie emerged from the hallway, her hair pulled back, a broom in one hand and a dirty towel in the other.

"Hey girly," she said. "How was school?"

Carter shrugged.

"Fine. I didn't get detention and only insulted a few people," she said. She pointed to the cleaning supplies in Maggie's hands. "What's going on here?"

Maggie pushed back a loose strand of hair with her wrist, gazing around the apartment with satisfaction.

"I know it has been a rough couple of days and so I decided to come help you and Steve out."

Carter dropped her gaze, overwhelmed by the wave of appreciation she felt.

"Thank you," she said.

Maggie set aside the broom and dish cloth, wiping her hands on her faded jeans.

"How are you doing with all of this?" she asked.

Carter raised her head and stared into the concerned green eyes.

"Fine," she said.

Maggie gave her a appraising look. Carter looked away.

"Okay," Maggie said. "But if you're ever not fine, you know can come talk to me."

Carter nodded.

"I know," she said.

After another worried look, Maggie put away the discarded cleaning supplies. Moving back to Carter, she hesitated, then pulled her into a hug. Carter resisted for a second before accepting the gesture.

"I love you, Carter." Maggie pulled back and looked at her, giving her a small smile. "I left sandwiches for you in the refrigerator. If you need anything just call."

"Thanks."

Maggie was half way out the door, when Carter's voice halted her.

"Why do you think she is here?"

Maggie gave Carter a thoughtful gaze.

"I don't know, hun," she said, after a second, "but she could have come back to make amends."

Carter scoffed and crossed her arms.

"I know that might sound like the craziest thing in the world, but sometimes people change," she said. "It's possible your mother has realized the mistake she made and wants to fix it."

"She doesn't care," Carter said, not hiding the disdain in her voice.

Maggie shrugged.

"I know she wanted to talk to you. Maybe there is something she wants to say?  Maybe she wants to get to know you again."

"I don't care."

Maggie gave her a understanding smile, that held a note of sadness.

"I know a part of you still does," she said. "You shouldn't close that part off."

Carter fought the truth of her words, staring at the ground.

"It's okay to still care. That makes you human."

Carter had no reply. After a minute, Maggie reached for the door and slipped out, leaving Carter in silence. She turned and tossed her backpack onto the worn couch cushions and kicked off her shoes, letting them fall to the floor with a thunk. She busied herself pulling out notebooks and textbooks, fighting away the thoughts Maggie's words had evoked.