Chapter 46 - "It doesn't mean it's okay."

The medic went to work on Carter. He checked her vitals, cleaned and stitched her arm and did a preliminary check of her injured ribs. When he was finished bandaging her up, he gave her something for the pain and wrapped a blanket around her shoulders.

Carter pulled the edges of the blanket closer to her, watching the hive of activity. There was noise beyond the gates and she could glimpse TV vans and the lights of filming equipment. Reporters stood before cameras giving general facts about the state of the school and their speculations on what was happening inside.

Donovan appeared from the busy crowd, his posture upright, but his expression worn out. When he saw Carter, the haggard look lightened. The edge of Carter's mouth tugged upwards as he stopped before her. From her spot on the back of the ambulance they were almost at eye level.

"Link?" she asked.

"They are still doing a sweep of the school. I won't be able to get in until they are done. I came to see how you are doing." His eyes held hers, studying her. "How are you doing?"

For a second she didn't reply, taking him in.

"Better now."

A quiet moment slipped by as the world continued to rage on around them. It was as if they were a stone in the center of the stream, untroubled. A breeze gusted by whipping up stray pieces of Carter's hair.

Donovan reached out and pulled the strands away from her face. He held them down, his fingers becoming tangled in her hair. His eyes held her in place. With his other hand he lightly traced the bruise on her cheek, then the one on her jaw.

"Does it hurt?" he asked.

"Hmmm?" Her eyes were locked on his, the world a blur. Nothing else seemed real except the feel of his fingers.

He smiled, his thumb brushing over her lips. The feel of it sent sparks of electricity coursing through her. 

"If you don't kiss me now," she said, "I'll punch you."

The grin widened. He leaned in, his lips hovering just above hers, their breath intertwining.

He kissed her slowly, as if he knew he had all the time in the world to savor the moment. Carter felt as if everything disappeared and nothing else existed except Donovan and his lips pressed against hers. His lips were caring and they sent the pain and exhaustion away. He broke from her, his mouth barely an inch from hers.

"I've been wanting to do that since the second day I knew you, when you almost broke Finch's wrist," he said. 

A breathless smile pulled at Carter's lips.

"Then why didn't you?"

"Conflicting interests." 

"Well," she said, "since I just got beat up trying to protect Link, I say the interests are no longer conflicting."

He kissed her again. This time there was a smile behind it. She placed her hand on his chest, gripping his shirt, and pulling him closer. Donovan dropped his hand to her waist, tightening his hold. She winced, a shock of pain skittering through her.

He pulled away, instantly scared of hurting her again. He didn't go far, Carter still holding onto his shirt. She leaned her head against his chest, taking in a steadying breath.

"It's okay," she said, once the flare of pain had died down. She lifted her head, smiling at the worry in his eyes.

She tugged on his shirt, bringing him closer. He gently cupped her face and kissed her. This time he was more hesitant, overly aware of her. When the caution faded, his lips got more certain.