Chapter 42 - "Get out of my way."

Ripping off the gas mask, Carter hurried down the steps after Donovan, gratefully filling her lungs with non-filtered air. Link's arms bounced lifelessly against Donovan's back. The sound of their steps raced down the dim corridor before them.

Neither of them spoke, their trip back to the safe room more solemn than their first. With every breath, Carter's heart returned to a normal rate. The tension in her body dropped away with every step. Link's form beside her eased her.

What didn't stop was her brain, spinning off in every direction, running through theories and speculations. She replayed the details of the altercation with the man from the library, trying to form answers.

Donovan was a stone wall beside her, his face looked like a storm cloud. He showed no signs that carrying around 160 lbs guy was any effort. He had also removed his gas mask. Carter glanced at him, trying to get a read on where his mind was taking him. He flexed his jaw, as anger sparked in his gaze.

The safe room door lay open for them, as if it as just as eager to see Link's safety as they were. They lowered Link to the cot, the sight of him secure lifting the invisible weight on Carter's chest. The sight did not have the same effect on Donovan.

"I'm sealing you in here with Link and I'm going to get those bastards," he said, his fists clenched.

He moved to the door. Carter darted forward and blocked this path, her hands pressed against his chest.

"What are you thinking?" she said. "Did you not see the mammoth man we took down? Do you honestly think you can just go out there without a plan, when you have no idea how many more are out there?"

"They came for Link!" he said, eyes as hard as granite.

"I know!" Carter shoved him. "But that doesn't mean you can get yourself killed! Or do you want me to tell Link how you were really brave and got yourself shot?"

"Get out of my way. And stay here." His voice was low and menacing, but she didn't move, her own anger burning white hot.

"No! I'm not letting you do something stupid."

Donovan stared her down.

"I have to make this right!"

"Link is safe!"

"But he wasn't! I failed! Something almost happened to him and it was my fault."

Carter held his gaze. Beyond the anger at the enemy, she could see the anger at himself.

"That may be be true," she said, her voice quiet, "but he is safe now and he still needs you to protect him. I'm not letting you leave because you have to fix your pride."

Her words held him, but didn't calm his temper. He turned away, a palpable energy coming off him in waves as he tore off his blazer and flung it at the wall. The fabric hit the hard surface before crumpling to the floor.

Carter stared at him, her expression calm and her stance unyielding. Donovan began to stalk back and forth in the narrow space, looking for all the world like a caged animal. His eyebrows were knit together and his mouth was a grim slash.

Every few seconds his hands would tighten and the muscles in his arms would strain against his shirt sleeves.

After she was sure he wasn't going to do something rash, she moved to the speaker. She pressed the button, connecting it, then leaned against the wall.

"Smith," she said.

The response was immediate.

"What's your status?" he asked, his gruff voice crackling through the black box.