Chapter 47 - "Then I can kiss you again."

The mahogany clock in the corner ticked on, as it had for many years already and would continue for many years to come. The morning light cascaded through the windows and washed over the desk and the office's occupants. The sky was clear, a vivid blue color holding the promise of summer and freedom.

Carter sat straight in her chair, her expression calm as she gave Principal Withers her full attention. The room was immaculate, just as the rest of the school. There was not a single sign that over a week ago the school had been flooded with knock out gas, military trained insurgents and FBI retrieval teams. Everything was as it should be.

Principal Withers glanced from Carter to her father, his hands clasped and resting on his desk.

"Mr. Owens," he said. "I understand you're busy, but I appreciate you giving me a minute of your time. I was told that you and your daughter were one of the reasons why the incident that occurred here didn't become a major catastrophe." He shifted his gaze to Carter, respect mingling with his gratitude. "I want to offer my thanks to both of you."

"We were glad we could help," Carter's father said.

Carter smiled, the look a mixture of playful and unconcerned. "Of course. What's a couple bruised ribs when it comes to hundreds of lives?"

Despite himself, Principal Withers grinned good-naturedly. Her face still wore the purple bruises of her fight. When she moved too quickly, her ribs woke up and yelled at her, but the worst of the pain was over.

His gaze flickered to her face then shifted to her father.

"As you are probably aware," he said, "this last week without students has given us a chance to update all our security measures. The school is now stronger than ever."

Steve nodded. "That's good to hear." He stood and buttoned his jacket. "I hate to be rude, but my time is limited."

Principal Withers rose and stretched out his hand. "I completely understand. Thank you again."

Carter pushed herself up and grinned at him. "Does this mean I get a free pass to skip fourth period?"

Though his face went hard, there was a quiet amusement in his eyes. "No, it does not. And please refrain from challenging Mr. Harris on every point. He needs to be able to finish teaching his calculus lesson."

She gave a nod, catching, from the corner of her eye, a faint smile on her father's face.

"Got it."

Following her father out, Carter hooked her bag over her shoulder. As they passed through to the office door, Carter glanced to the wall, the wall that she had smashed into. Memories shot through her mind, the effect of it halting her steps as her eyes went distant.

Her father looked back, noticing the expression and the spot her gaze was riveted to. Without a word, he laid a hand on her shoulder. His touch brought her back to herself. She looked up at him. He smiled, though his eyes held a piece of worry. She returned the smile, trying to ease some of his emotion.

They said nothing.

As they continued out of the office, the hallways were slowly beginning to fill with returning students. The tones that pinged off the spotless walls and gleaming floors were ones of speculation and intrigue. In the faces of the first students, Carter saw no concern over their last encounter in the school. The fact that they had woken up not knowing what had happened didn't bother them. Over the week, the news stations had given contradictory stories on what had occurred. None of it was the truth.

Her father pushed through the front doors and sweet, summer air greeted them. Lines of sleek cars trickled in through the gates and down the gravel drive. Despite the incident, there were only half a dozen transfers. Most parents assumed that if the President was still allowing his son to attend the school, it was safe to send their children as well.