Chapter 33 - "Look, I can't tell you."

The murmur of voices filled the classroom like the bright morning light that found entrance through the windows. Mr. Miller stood over a neighboring table, helping a pair of confused students.

Carter stared out the window, onto the football field. But she didn't see it or the line of students as they made their way around the track, none of them giving it their all. There were hints of circles beneath her eyes. Link sat beside her, scribbling away on the latest project. A project she had already finished.

When he finally finished, he looked over and noticed Carter sitting immobile, her fingers drumming on the desk. He nudged her elbow with his. After not receiving a response, he spoke.

"Carter."

It was only after another nudge and a call of her name that she looked over at him.

"Hmmm?" she said, her thoughts still not completely focused on him.

He pivoted in his seat so he faced her, a frown of puzzlement crossing his face.

"What's going on with you? You've been, I don't know, distracted or something all week."

Her lips twitched at a smile, her focus settling on him.

"I'm surprised you left 'Maddy and Link world' long enough to notice that."

Link fidgeted, his gaze betraying him as it darted to where Donovan sat. She gave a wry chuckle and glanced back at Donovan. He was leaning over his calculus homework, the chemistry project already completed and forgotten. He ran a hand through his hair, a flash of irritation flickering across his face. He paused, feeling Carter's gaze and looked up.

Their eyes met for a split second before Carter looked away. She couldn't stand to see the question his eyes were holding. The question that she had ignored ever since Link and Maddy had their date.

A question even she didn't know the answer to.

"Well, what did he say?" she asked, crossing her arms and resting on the desk's edge.

"Only that you've been distracted and I should see if I can find out why."

"Did he mention anything about subtlety in your approach?"

Link gave a careless shrug. "Yes, but I figured you would see through it and would prefer if I was straight forward about the whole thing."

For the first time in the last four days Carter smiled. Link shrugged again and looked down at the desk, fiddling with his pencil.

"Are you going to tell me?" he asked, twisting his head to look at her.

She shrugged. "It's nothing."

He nodded, his expression speaking his skepticism. "Should I believe that without question or do you want me to push past it?"

Carter laughed, the sound drifting over the murmurs of her fellow students. A few heads turned to look at her with puzzled expressions. Donovan glanced over, but she didn't notice. Mr. Miller turned around to look at her.

"Miss Owens is there something you find amusing about the project?" he asked, his hands falling into his pockets.

"Besides the misspelling on the second page and the way in which it was frustratingly easy to complete? No, not at all, sir."

Mr. Miller's face seemed caught between amusement and annoyance, the result ending in a scowl.

"If that is the case please remain quiet as the rest of your peers lack your frustration."