Chapter 6 - "I convey a moody persona?"

Carter laid stretched across three steps in front of the National Museum of American History, sunglasses on and her hands stuffed in her coat pockets. The conversations of her fellow classmates filled the air and clashed with the rushing of cars nearby. Warm spring sunlight poured over them as they waited. Her phone rang and she brought it to her ear.

"Hello," she said, her voice bland.

"Sarge, did I wake you?" her father asked.

"Yes."

"Carter, you are suppose to be at school," her father said.

"Dang, I knew there was some reason I set an alarm. It's too late to do anything about it now. I'll just skip today, I guess. It's not like I actually learn anything there."

"Sarge, get out of bed. Now." her father said, his voice firm.

"Calm down Captain, I'm not actually in bed. I'm at the National Museum of American History."

"Why are you there?"

"I'm protesting the government letting idiots voice their opinions on the internet."

"Carter."

"I'm on a field trip for my history class," she said.

"Did I sign off on this?" her father asked.

"Yup, right after you signed over all the bank accounts to me."

"Carter-"

"You should really read the fine print. And if you're calling to let me know you're not coming home today, then you should expect to have to pick the front door lock when you get back, because I will have changed it."

Her father let out a soft chuckle and Carter smiled.

"I'll be home tonight. You don't need to change the locks just yet," her father said.

"Should I expect you coming home in a car or dropping out of a helicopter?"

"Car, if I'm not pressed for time."

"Okay, I'll see you tonight, unless I get bludgeoned with my own sign by the idiots of America."

"If you can't defend yourself against a couple idiots, then maybe you deserve to die," her father said.

"Very true. See you later Captain."

"Love you, Sarge."

"Love you too."

Carter pocketed her phone and went back to ignoring the world and the odd looks from her peers. Footsteps approached her and she smirked.

"You do realize that if you keep hanging out with me people will assume we are friends," Carter said, without opening her eyes.

"The thought did cross my mind, yes," Link said, sitting down beside her. "How did you-"

"You always smell like soap and Donovan wears a subtle cologne," she said.

Donovan took a seat next to Link, his face expressionless. Link studied Carter.

"How are you laying like that? It looks uncomfortable," Link said.

"This is nothing. Try sleeping on a rock ledge."

"Favorite pass time?" Link asked.

"My father's idea of a fun outing. Before the rock ledge there was a twelve mile hike with a pack that weighed as much as me. Let's just say I've learned to adjust to uncomfortable situations."