Chapter 38 - "Don't punch me if you lose."

Two days later Carter stepped out of the girls locker room into a chilly afternoon. The sky was swept with a thin curtain of clouds. The air smelled of rain to come. Only a few students waited on the track as she walked over. She moved off to one side and began to stretch. The volume of voices steadily rose as more students trickled out. Donovan and Link emerged and made their way to her. As they approached, she twisted to the side and winced slightly.

"What's wrong?" Donovan asked.

Carter was about to shake her head but stopped. Instead, she pivoted and lifted up of the edge of her shirt. Besides a toned stomach, she revealed a fist size bruise on her left side, right below her ribs.

"That's thanks to you," she said, dropping her shirt and nodding to Donovan.

A frown flickered across his face. Link looked between them.

"I thought she was the one hitting you?" he said.

"She was. It was an accident. Carter also doesn't protect her left side," Donovan said.

She pointed to him. "This is not my fault. My left side is perfectly protected."

Donovan's eyes flickered down to her side and up at her.

"You left your left side wide open. How do you explain that bruise, if you were protecting your left side?"

Carter scowled. Donovan raised a questioning eyebrow. She crossed her arms and lifted her chin, her expression shifting into something playful.

"Fine, it's something to remember the next time I take you on."

"Remember it, but I'll never fight you. I don't want to leave anymore bruises on you than I already, mistakenly, have."

"I'm more resilient than I look."

"Don't worry, that's something I am very aware of. But I don't want to hurt you."

"So I'll just protect my left side then." 

Carter fought against a smile, noticing as Donovan did the same. Link's gaze jumped between them, his expression puzzled.

"I can't tell if you're flirting or not."

The smile broke free of Carter's hold as Donovan's hid away in his eyes.

"Anyone tell you, you have a mean right hook?" she asked, still looking at Donovan.

He nodded to her. "What about your elbow?" He absentmindedly ran a hand over his jaw. "Where did you learn that move from?"

A memory darted through her mind, widening her smile.

"Captain taught me that one," she said. "I nearly took out his eye the first time I tried it."

Link chuckled while Donovan smiled. The amusement dropped away as a question appeared in his eyes. Carter's own smile fell, as she read the expression.

"How's it going?" he asked.

His gaze was trained on her, as if he knew she would lie and he would need to get the real answer from her expression. She shifted, and then shrugged.

"The same," she said.

Before he could say anything, she fixed her features into a taunting look and spoke.

"Are you ready to find out once and for all who is faster?" she asked.

He gave her a look that told her he knew what she was doing, but accepted the topic change all the same.

"Now?" he asked.

She raised a mocking eyebrow. "Why? Do you want a week to prepare?"

His features took on a challenging look. "No, I wasn't sure if you needed one."