A Prelude

"Mama? Can I go and play now?" The little girl asked, hope filling her crystal blue eyes, the color of ice on the coldest winters day.

She was a beautiful child, even in her young age, though there was something undeniably unsettling about her eyes. If she had a golden head of hair, perhaps they would not be so striking. Yet, she was graced with dark brown waves the color of dark chocolate, which only accentuated the already piercing color.

When people beheld the child, they felt almost as though they should not be looking at her. It was as if she were some angelic being, who should only be seen by the most holy of saints. Again, it was mostly her eyes that caused this. It was as though they saw through you to your very soul.

Her mama glanced down at her.  She was beautiful once, but age had withered her skin, and there were wrinkles around her eyes and jaw.  Still, her brown eyes remained the same as she looked at her daughter, and she smiled.

"Yes, darling.  Do not stay out past sunset." Mama told her.

Mama shook her head as her daughter ran out into their large yard where she would run along the muddy creek.  She would have to leave her shoes outside tonight.

Mama's name is not Mama, of course, but that is all she will be known by.  I think it is fitting, since in a way we are the main character, and the main character has not learned her Mama's name.

Mama had come from Germany after Mama's husband died of pneumonia.  She had a relative here in the French countryside who offered to take care of the very pregnant Mama.

Only days after arriving, Mama gave birth to her daughter, whom she affectionately named Tabatha Nadette, in the hopes that she would grow to be sweet and kind, but courageous in the face of their new life.

Weeks after Tabatha, who now usually goes by Nadette, was born, Mama's elder relative also passed away.   He left his fortune to his children, of course, but left Mama a small house in the countryside with a fireplace and a creek that runs behind it.  She was grateful. 

Now, she had a home for her daughter.