A Hiatus

Nadette was rather puzzled when she found that Christine would barely acknowledge her upon the girl's return.  What had happened?  Had Nadette done something wrong? She thought that Christine would want answers, but the girl seemed entirely nonchalant about the whole thing. 

When the woman had broached the subject the next day, she was met with cool denial, and the excuse that the soprano was tired after all that had taken place.

"I can talk to her if you'd like, Madame Martin."

Nadette turned to face the young ballerina. Meg Giry was an underrated sort of girl. Her small size seemed to be unable to contain her spirit, and there was seldom a smile absent from her features.  Nadette had always thought she was very beautiful, like the loveliest fairy in appearance, and often wondered why she never had suitors.

"Please, Meg. Call me Nadette. That isn't necessary, for if she wants to tell me she will in her own time." The woman smiled down at the petite blonde, and was met with a grin that matched her own.

The pair stood on the sidelines, watching the young soprano as she sang a lovely aria. Christine seemed somewhat distracted, and would often glance toward the mysterious box five, or higher up at the curve in the high ceiling, or occasionally at the staff attempting to clean up the shattered chandelier as quietly as possible.  Nadette had expected her to be gone for quite a bit longer than she was, and hoped that whatever conversation Christine had had with Erik went somewhat decently.

She tilted her head somewhat wistfully as she gazed at the gifted soprano. How lovely she was. Such a graceful profile with her porcelain skin, and a lithe dancer's body. Such warm brown eyes, and perfect ringlets with the color to match. She was certainly beautiful, and she was young. Youth was something Nadette felt slipping away, and she sighed at the thought.

The woman glanced down at her black gown.  It had been over a year now since her husband has passed.  Jean would want her to be vibrant.  He always said she looked stunning in green. She felt tears prick her eyes and immediately blinked them back. Her mourning was nearly at an end. It was time to move forward.

She and Meg raised their hands and brought them together in applause as Christine finished. She did not acknowledge either of them as she brushed past the pair. Meg glanced up at the pianist and shot her an apologetic smile before racing after her friend.

Nadette did not mind so much, and walked back to her chambers. She had finished rehearsing nearly half an hour ago. She was surprised to find someone waiting for her.

"I... did not mean to intrude," the masked man said quietly.

Nadette gave a small smile, and walked over to her vanity. "It's quite alright. Is something troubling you?"

"I've decided to go on a rather lengthy hiatus and focus on completing my Opera."  Erik watched as the woman fetched a small container from one of the drawers.  She set it down gently and turned to look at him.

"A hiatus from being the Phantom?" She asked incredulously.

The man only nodded in response, suddenly curious about the strange box.  It was wooden, and there was a rather intricate design carved into the lid.

"Well," she said with a sigh, "it will be rather strange without your presence looming over the place, though I would guess the rest of the staff won't notice until a few weeks without any incident."

"I suppose so," Erik agreed, still somewhat distracted.

"I shall miss you, mon ami."

That got his attention.

"Will you?" An eyebrow was raised under his mask, though he knew she could not see it. 

She scoffed at the man, "Of course I will!  I missed you for twenty-two years, Erik."

"I see," he said nodding, "I shall miss you as well, Nadette,"

A sly smirk grew on his lips, "though I was hoping you would continue to visit me throughout the duration of my hiatus."

"Oh!" She said in shock, "I had thought you meant to isolate yourself!"

"And starve myself of the company of my oldest friend?  I should think not!" His tone was amused as he spoke, and it caused a grin to grace the woman's features.

She allowed a small laugh and turned back to her box, "Then I will see you tomorrow."

"I'm glad to hear it." He told her sincerely, and then was once more distracted by the ornamental container, "Nadette?"

"Hmm?"

"What have you got there?"

She laughed once more, "Curious, mon petit chat?"

He had to roll his eyes at that, "You should not tease the Phantom, little Songbird."

"The Phantom is on holiday." She said simply, "Songbird?"

"It suits you. Are you attempting to avoid my question?" He rose up from his seat on the bed and came to stand behind her, peering over her shoulder at the box.

"Not at all," she grinned, "I'm afraid you'll be entirely underwhelmed when you see what's inside."

With that she gently opened the box, setting the lid upon its hinges. Inside was lined with soft, black velvet, and trimmed with black, silk cord.  Atop the soft material sat only four items.  There was a silver necklace with a pendant of amethyst and diamond, two earrings to match, and a ring to complete the set.

"This," Nadette spoke softly, as she touched the necklace, "was my Mama's.  It came from Germany with her.  Growing up I was only ever allowed to look at it.  Jean had the ring and earrings made to match so that I could wear them as a set.  I only ever wore them once, the day before he passed.  They had just been finished, and he so wished to see them worn."

"You miss him." Erik stated gently.

"Yes," she confirmed, "but he always said that time must be spent on living.  It has been a year, and if he could speak to me he would certainly say that I should have thrown this old mourners gown off long ago."  She smiled fondly at the thought.

Erik opened his mouth to reply, but was interrupted by a quick rapping at the door.

"One moment!" Nadette called, pushing Erik toward the mirror.  Quietly, she turned back to him, "I shall come and see you tomorrow, around noon."

"I will anxiously await your arrival." He said with a chuckle.

Nadette only rolled her eyes at the man and pushed a little harder until he slid the mirror shut between them.

As she was about to turn toward the door, she had a thought, and turned back to the mirror with a sly grin.  The temptation was far too much.  Yes, it was childish, but at the moment she did not care.

Erik tilted his head from behind the mirror, though he knew she could not see him.  He watched the woman as she took a step closer to the glass, and he wondered if she was going to open it.  Instead, he found himself trying desperately to remain silent as he attempted to contain his laughter.  Nadette leaned toward the glass, looked slightly above her own reflection, seemingly right at him, and very purposefully stuck out her tongue at him before spinning rapidly around to answer the door.

Erik was left shaking his head in amusement as he walked away, not bothering to see who had come to call.