A Demonstration

Nadette's eyes settled on the organ, and she sat at the bench, "How on earth did you get this down here anyway?"

Erik walked up behind her, placing a hand on the wood of the instrument, "A magician never reveals his secrets, Madame."

"Hmm." She responded, already distracted as she began to sight read a composition of his which sat on the stand.

"You play the organ as well?"

"Monsieur Cousteau was adamant that I learned. I do not like it as much as the sound of a pianoforte, but it is quite enjoyable." She trailed off as she reached the end of his writing.

Erik was surprised when she did not stop playing. Instead her fingers danced across the keys in a perfect continuation of his composition, and he scrambled for a pen and paper.

"What did you just play... after the C minor inversion?" He asked her.

"An A minor seventh... separated across each hand." She replied quietly.

"You are a woman of many talents." Erik chuckled. He was already feeling much better, though he was still slightly bitter about the whole thing, "Next you will tell me you are also a secret opera singer."

"Absolutely not. I am no soprano," the woman laughed, "it is far above my register."

"An alto then?" Now Erik was interested, he had not much experience with voice parts below Christine's soprano.

"I suppose so." Nadette was beginning to feel nervous.

Erik grinned evilly, "Perhaps a demonstration is in order?"

"Are you mad? Erik, I am a pianist, not a singer!  I am sure you shall cover your ears with horror if I were to sing!" Nadette was antsy with discomfort.

Had he found her weakness? This confident woman had stage fright.

"If you do not choose a song, I shall choose for you." Erik smirked.

When Nadette did nothing, Erik began to rifle through his collection.

"Alright!" The woman exclaimed, "I will choose.  Voi Che Sapete by Mozart is my selection." Nadette hoped he would not have a copy of it, but he plucked it quickly from his assorted sheet music.

"A lovely choice.  I shall accompany you, if you would be so kind."  He gestured for her to stand so that he could take a seat at the organ.

Nadette took a shaky breathe as Erik nodded at her and began to play an introduction. At her cue, she began to sing.

Erik had thought she would sing quite well; she had, after all, helped Christine. Yet he was surprised to hear that her voice did not sound untrained. She sang each note with precision and support, and her voice was strong and smooth.

She was right, he decided, in that she was most certainly an alto. While he thought her voice could reach a higher register, a lower key was where it shined. He could tell that he was nervous, as she kept playing with the edge of her bandage while she sang, but that was easily fixed. To his astonishment, he found that he did not want her to stop.

She is no Christine, He tried to tell himself, I do not want her to be.

His fingers stumbled at that startling thought, and Nadette looked at him, her brow furrowing as she sang. When at last the composition ended, Erik found that he was at a loss for words.

"Ahem," he cleared his throat, "That was very good, Nadette. Well done."

Nadette found herself blushing at the compliment, "Oh, thank you."

Then, an idea occurred to her, and it was her turn to grin.

"Your turn, Monsieur." She teased.

"To sing after such a lovely performance? I think not!" Erik laughed.

"But it is only fair!  Careful Monsieur, or I shall choose a song for you!" She mimicked.

Erik thought for a moment, "Very well."

When he opened his mouth to sing, Nadette felt chills pervade her very soul.  His voice was rich and exhilarating, and his tone was what all men must certainly strive for.

It was only after a few lines did Nadette finally pay attention to the words.

"Slowly, gently, night unfurls it's splendor, hear it, feel it, tremulous and tender,"

She watched him as he sang, yet Erik found that he could not meet her gaze.  Did she understand? Could she see what Christine did not?

Nadette felt tears prick her eyes for what felt like the millionth time as she realized exactly what his song meant.

The man who had known little but darkness was singing about his world.