A Letter

A couple of days later, long after Nadette's head had stopped pounding, and Erik began to feel better, the pair worked to clean up the home.

It felt to both of them that they had a new start. Each of them stole sly glances at the other, blushing like school children when they would be caught.

The past two days had been fairly...eventful. After the cold of the river, the two had kept eachother warm in ways they had not experienced in a long time. Erik in particular had never experienced pleasure with someone who loved him.

What little he did know about intimacy, he knew from people who paid his Gypsy captors for the novelty of his company. The rare few who did so had been adamant that he keep his mask on.

He finally told Nadette of this after he realized where things may be headed between the two of them and reached for his mask. She took it from him gently and assured him with a kind of fury that she would rather look into the face of the man she loves when she is with him.

The nights they shared were all gentle and full of fire, subtle and intense, cautious and reckless. The past was behind them now.

Above the opera house, Mme. Giry was handed a letter addressed to Nadette after the postman had been unable to find her. She knew of course that the young woman was alright. Nadette had come to update them on what had happened only the day before.

Her brow furrowed at the sender. What did this woman want with Nadette? She was certain she was of no relation to the woman. One thing she did know was the simple fact that for some reason, she had a very bad feeling about her.

In the cavern, the two could hear footsteps quickly approaching them, and Nadette scrambled to find Erik's mask for him.

He chuckled at her, "It is alright Nadette. It is only Antoinette."

"Madame Giry?" She questioned.

He nodded, "The very same. She was the first person, aside from you or course, who could look at me without fear. She has seen me without my mask many times since then. I doubt she will die of fright now."

Nadette wrapped her arm around his waist then, "She's probably only coming to see you're alright. You gave the both of us a fright, you know."

"I do. And I am truly sorry for it. I have no reason to believe it will happen again." He said as he placed a kiss on the top of her head.

She gave him a faint, "Mhm," and a grin as Madame Giry came into view.

She smiled happily at the two of them, glad to see her old friend had seemingly begun to find his way.

"Nadette, a letter came for you." She told the pianist, "I've no idea who the woman is, but the postman said it was urgent."

"That's very strange, I've no idea who would be writing to me, what's left of my family is in Germany, and I am certain they have no way of knowing where I am. May I?" She asked, reaching for the letter.

Antoinette handed it over, and became immediately concerned as the younger woman's face immediately turned to one of first shock, then seething anger.

Erik, now a few steps behind her noticed the change as well, "Nadette, what is it?"

She took a deep steadying breath before answering, fighting the urge not to rip the unopened letter to pieces right then.

"It is from Madame Mariette Destler." She said lowly.

Antoinette watched the two as they stared at eachother, seemingly to have an entire, silent conversation. Then, rather suddenly, Erik went into a room out of sight and a loud commotion could soon be heard. Things were being thrown and broken.

"I'm afraid I do not understand," said the ballet instructor, "What has upset him so?"

Nadette sighed and sank down to the floor running a hand through her hair, "This woman is his mother. She's the reason why he was with the traveling fair in the first place. She sold him after he disobeyed her."

"My God," Antionette sat down in front of her with a little effort, "She sold him? Why would she be writing you?"

Nadette let out a humorless chuckle, "I'm the reason Erik disobeyed. We have known each other since we were children, Madame Giry. He would sneak out of the house against her wishes so we could play together. She found out one day. That's how I met her."

"What does she want with you, my dear?" Antoinette was truly concerned now. Any mother who would sell her own son could not be up to any sort of good.

Nadette opened the envelope and unfolded it's contents. Her eyes scanned the five words over and over again, finally handing it to Madame Giry.

"I am dying. Please come." She read aloud, "Will you go?"

"I've no idea." Nadette replied softly.

Erik emerged from the room then, out of breath and eyes all ablaze. He stretched out his arm and Madame Giry handed him the letter.

"So the bitch is finally dying then." He muttered, more calm than expected, "I suppose we must go pay our respects."

Nadette stood up and took his hand in hers, forcing him too look her in the eye, "Erik, she is dying already. Surely there is no need to-"

"I understand your concern, my Songbird, but I can honestly tell you I have no intention of killing the old hag. However, I have questions, and it appears I am running out of time to find the answers to them," he told her honestly. He maintained eye contact with her until she was satisfied. Blessed woman. How could she be so determined to preserve whatever part of a soul he had left.

"Then," she spoke slowly, "it appears that we are going home after all this time."

Home. Back to that hell hole of a worn out mansion where he spent the majority of his childhood locked in a damp, drafty room. Still, when he had dared to venture out he met the most wonderful people.

He found himself smiling, small though it may be, "Yes. I suppose it does."