[18] - Chapter Eighteen

I parked my car in front of the school building the next day an hour before school started. I couldn’t sleep, I kept freaking out about my insecurity ghost who seemed to tempt me ever second. Running my fingers through my hair and sneaking a brief stare at myself through the rearview mirror, I took a deep breath, take out my car keys, and heads towards school. Not that many cars were here, but what stood out to me is that I noticed that Dean’s and Kale’s car were both here.

Curious, I opened the entrance door to see an empty hallway. Sighing, I took out my phone and slipped it in my pocket. When, I turned to corner, I suddenly see Mrs. Rial carrying a huge box which was labeled “Chemistry”, her hair was a bit pretty messy, and lipstick was smeared. When she spotted me, she covered up her neck with her box probably embarrassed that I saw her.

“Hey, Mrs. Rial,” I murmured awkwardly as I passed by her. Her cheeks seemed to blush since I’ve noticed her.

Clearing her throat, she smiled at me, “Hi Miss Canton, the projects are due soon. Be well prepared!” And with that, she scurried away. Turning my heel, I continued to head towards the library before getting school breakfast since it wasn’t open until thirty minutes before the bell rang.

Once I finally made it to the library, I pushed open the door to see Kale and his friends talking intently. For some reason, I didn’t see Dean with him. I suddenly heard footsteps coming towards me and I moved behind a bookshelf to hide. I peeked over to see Dean walking towards them and as soon as he reaches them, they suddenly stopped talking.

Dean and Kale didn’t even make eye contact, instead once Dean walks away from him, they continue to talk again and Dean wonders off in the “Teen” section. Sighing, I cocked an eyebrow. Didn’t they make up already? Why were they avoiding each other? I wanted to just brush it off, but then my mind thinks back to the day where Dean yelled at Kale demanding for him to talk to him.

What happened? And why do I feel like I should know something about this? I closed my eyes and tried to put the pieces together, but once again I couldn’t. I think back my insecurity ghost suddenly, she’s telling me I’ve never find out why she’s here but days before that she told me I was so close. I must be; I just cannot see it.

Groaning in frustration, I told myself I’ll discover the truth eventually and then I pulled out a random book from the bookshelf. Avoiding Dean, Kale, and his friends, I went across the room to read silently. Staring at the book, I noticed it was Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks. I smiled, it sounded interesting enough.

After reading about four chapters, the bell rung signaling breakfast time and I looked up to see that the library was just a bit more busy. I also didn’t see or hear Kale anywhere. Closing the book shut, I picked up my backpack and departed. Pushing the door open, I head towards the MPR along with a huge crowd. As soon as I walked in, I was stunned to see Kale and his friends there eating, talking, and laughing. I also saw a better view of Kale. His hair was a bit messy as well and I wondered why everyone was so lazy today. Maybe it’s because the dance isn’t so far away. Walking toward the food, I grabbed a breakfast bar, a bag of strawberries, and orange juice. I’m about to sit next to Kale, but then I suddenly see Caroline and the freckled boy approach them. “You’re so stupid Kale!” Caroline exclaimed. “What did you do to—

“Shh!” A nearby security guard shushed them as everyone began to stare. I tilted my head to the side, what was going on? Sighing, I told myself that I had to eat by myself until I did something about it.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

By the time I finished eating, the bell rung and I dumped my waste in the trash. As I walked towards my locker, I decided to ditch my backpack and only take out my materials needed for Chemistry. As I did, I noticed something. My wrist was bare and that bracelet was nowhere to be found, I was happy but then freaked out because I nearly forgot about it.