[20] - Chapter Twenty

I smiled at myself in the mirror after I applied neon green and neon orange eye shadow on my eyelids. It matched well with my black eyeliner and mascara. Then, I put on Baby lips Electro, a neon shade of pink across my lips. I also dabbed them on my cheeks to make it look as if I was wearing neon pink blush.

Of course, I put on some foundation and concealer to hide my sleepy and teary eyes. The thoughts of what happened earlier today crept in my mind but I pushed them away. It wasn’t time for that; I was going to have fun at this dance. My insecurities weren’t going to get in the way.

After I put on my makeup, I slipped on my dress and accessories. I also slipped my pink neon colored shades inside of neon yellow purse.  Once I was done, I curled my dark brown hair into loose curls and I smiled at myself. I looked….pretty. I blushed, I was getting closer to getting rid of my insecurities, I could just tell.

I walked out of the bathroom and into my bedroom, grabbing my phone. Then, I walked back into the bathroom and took a picture of myself. I sent the photo to Stef and waited for her reply.

I wasn’t surprised to get a response just seconds later: Oh my gosh McKenzie, you look so beautiful <3. Aww, I wish I could be there with u, but you’ll be with fine with Kale darl <3. Anyway, good luck at the neon dance and have fun love!

I grinned at her text and texted back: Thank you so much Stef and I will :]. I wish you were here 2 but hey you’re here in spirit xoxo.

Once I pressed send, I slipped my phone into my purse as well and looked at myself in the mirror again. “You’re going to have a fun time,” I said to my reflection. “It’s going to be off the chain!” I laughed at myself remembering Dean’s comment. Picking up my purse and my curling iron, I opened my bathroom door and marched back into my room.

I sat on my bed and went on the channel lifetime to see if they were any good movies on. I realized that The Sister’s Nightmare was on which I heard was pretty good by Stefanie but I never really watched it. Leaning back, I watched about twenty minutes into the movie until I had a strong desire have my parents take me a picture of me for the dance.

I knew that my parents were always working and all, but this was big night. Like I said, they were barely any dances at our school and the fact there is one made me excited. Taking a deep breath, I ran up my mom and dad’s room and knocked on the door.

My mom opened the door and crossed her arms. “Honey I’m—wow, what’s the occasion?”

“The neon dance,” I reminded her. “I told you and dad a couple days ago.”

“Oh right,” My mom said with a nod. “Now if you excuse me, Dad and I have to conduct very important business—

“Can you please a picture of me mom?” I asked her interrupting her usual excuse. “This is a very important—

“Not as important as my work,” My mother interrupted me, “Which I need to do right now.”

I felt hurt. “So, you’re saying me going to the dance isn’t important?”

“I didn’t say that, it’s just not as important as my job, sweetie. My job pays for the bills and dances are just for fun,” My mom explained to me as she runs her fingers through her hair. “Now if you excuse me, I need to—

“Work,” I interrupted sadly. “I know.”

And with that, my mom slammed the door in my face and I sighed depressed all of the sudden. I guess what I do in my life is not as important as my parents work. Sighing, I walked back into my room and collapsed onto my bed.