[28] - Chapter Twenty-Eight and [29] Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Eight

“What do you mean you couldn’t find her?!” The principal asked angrily.

“Exactly that,” The vice principal explained. “We were going to inform her that she was fired and she may also be possibly arrested if we address this issue further, but she just-disappeared. We told her about this the other day too, maybe she just assumed that she was already fired, I guess?”

The principal sighed, “We’ll discuss that later and as for Kale, he’s expelled right?”

“Of course and also--

I backed away from the door and sighed in relief, the ghost that my insecurities created must have faded away and I no longer had to worry about Kale. Hopefully, I wouldn’t get confronted ever again either. I had a bruise on left cheek where he had punched me and it wasn’t that visible since I was wearing concealer but hopefully it’d heal soon enough. 

Walking out of the office, first period was going to start soon so I made sure to get ready. However, we weren’t probably going to do much since Mrs. Rial is now gone. I walked over to my locker anyway and got out my materials closing the locker behind me.

Later in first period, everyone seemed to know that Mrs. Rial was fired and they were making all kinds of rumors. For those who didn’t even know who Kale was said: She probably vandalized the principal’s office. Or she did a prank on the principal. And maybe she was love notes to the vice principal.

I rolled my eyes, they were all stupid but I heard some people wonder if it was because she was having an affair with a student. Hopefully, no one would ask me or talk to me about this either. As soon as the bell rung, the sub that was a middle aged male named Mr. McKinney, told us to stop discussing Mrs. Rial’s absence and to watch The Lorax quietly or he’ll assign us work.

Immediately, everyone stopped talking and paid attention to the movie. As the movie was playing, I looked around and noticed that Dean wasn’t here. Should I be worried? Is he just late? I don’t know, maybe I should be worried. What if his Dad heard about Mrs. Rial’s absence and thought Dean had something to do with it?

Before I could do anything about it, I felt a cold chill and swirled back to front of my desk to see my insecurity ghost standing before me and I gasped. “Hey McKenzie, are you happy? You got rid of my ghost!”

“Very,” I mumbled quietly and thankfully the guy next to me was asleep. “You’re going to fade away very soon you know?”

“Hmm, not if I take I mess with the people you care about,” My insecurity ghost retorted with an evil laugh.

“Don’t you dare mess with--“

“Eh, I’m not going to,” My insecurity taunted. “I’m going to end your chance of destroying me once and for all; I’m going to kill Dean!”

And with that, she vanished before my eyes and I felt panicked. I had to do something now! Clearing my throat, I put my backpack on my shoulders and walked up to Mr. McKinney. He was playing a chess game on the computer and I cleared my throat to get his attention. “Yes?”

“Can I please go to the bathroom?” I asked him briskly. “It’s urgent!”

“Urgent?” He repeated as he eyed my backpack. “What are you going to do that’s so urgent?”

“To be honest sir,” I lied as I folded my arms, “it’s that time of the month and I--

“Okay,” Mr. McKinney interrupted suddenly considerate. “Go right ahead.”