23

Being short wasn't all bad. Especially moments like this when he can just bury himself into Kageyama. He felt like a stuffed animal while being held in his strong arms.

As always the presence of the setter quickened his heartbeat, but calmed him down.

"This still doesn't change the fact that I think you guys need me to win. I mean Daichi even said so, at one point."

"You also told me to never quit volleyball even if you can't be on my team, what happened?"

"That statement still stands," Hinata pulled away. "After the nationals, you'll have to do without me."

"I'd rather you sit out from the nationals and play next to me for the next few years than you have a finish this year. I also doubt you'll be able to do as well you expect in your position."

"The doctors have no idea what's wrong with my leg, so maybe I can't even play with you after because I'll never be healed."

Kageyama shook his head. "You can't think like that."

"That's what everyone keeps saying, but they honestly don't have anything better to say."

"I can't play volleyball without you," He looked down into his eyes again.

"You promised me you would," Hinata frowned. "You gave me your word."

"Then can you give me your word?"Kageyama urged. "Just stay here okay? Just take your time to heal."

After a small pause, Hinata looked away. "I can't do that."

"Why!?"

Hinata was shaking in either frustration or anger. "I can't just watch you guys out there, I physically won't be able to help myself."

"Hey sorry to interrupt, but Hinata you have to stay in bed." Dr. Sukodu and the nurse came inside the room.

"I told you I'm fine."

"And I told you to stop lying to me," the doctor said rolling his eyes.

"I'm gonna go," Kageyama said.

"One thing," Hinata whispered to the setter. "There's no way in hell that I'm not playing in the game."

☆☆☆

The sky was beautiful shade of orange and red. The sun was retiring for the day behind the sea, tucked away by the ocean's waves

Kageyama squinted, as the sun was a bit blinding. Hinata sat beside him. Kageyama wasn't entirely sure where they were but honestly didn't care.

"Sunsets or sunrises?"

"Hm?"

"Which one do you prefer?" Hinata said with the warm smile Kageyma hadn't seen in a while.

Kageyama pondered on this for a few moments. "Sunsets."

"Why?" Hinata looked genuinely surprised.

"Because I'm watching one with you right now," he joked.

Hinata chuckled. "No, really."

"Some days I'm just so tired," Kageyama said. "I just want to sink and let the darkness take over. And that's what the sun does, but the next morning it knows it has to rise again. But the easiest part of this process is just falling."

Hinata took this into consideration."Honestly a much longer response than I was expecting. But you know what? Me too."

"I guess sometimes we need a break from the harsh reality."