26

The sound of the whistle startled Hinata a bit. He had to admit a bit of the instincts he developed over time were rusty at the moment.

As Narita switched places with him Hinata saw the concerned look on the second-year's face. They didn't exchange any words, but the middle blocker knew there was a lot everyone wanted to say to him.

There was no doubt that everyone was on edge around him, and Hinata wasn't sure what he could do.

On the bench, Takeda shook his head in disapproval.

"I still don't think we should have sent him out there. He literally threatened to end his life, his mental health isn't exactly stable."

"Senseii, there was we could have done."

Takeda threw his hands in the air in frustration, accidentally smacking the coach in the face.

"Ah! Sorry Ukai-kun, I, I'm sorry-" Takeda nervously stammered, and in an effort to check if he was okay, he cupped Keishin's face in his hands. 

Takeda found himself looking directly in his eyes. Keishin looked back with absolute shock and amazement. There was something behind Keishin's eyes that was more than the innocence he gave off usually.

Takeda quickly released his hands and pulled back. 

"Gah I'm sorry I was trying to do check if you're okay." Takeda refused to look back into Keishin's eyes, in fear that he would have a nervous breakdown and start confessing random things.

Keishin was still in shock, missing the warmth of his big hazel eyes staring back at him. But he couldn't think about this right now he had to focus on the game.

Hinata felt the thrill of being on the court wash over him. Standing with these amazing players who were more than just his teammates now, was everything he could have asked for.

 The other team was serving, and it was the intense server guy, jersey number 3. He was tall in stature but also had a more mature face. He was actually much more intimidating than Ushiwaka or anyone Hinata had every faced, because had a lot of facial hair and seemed big enough to be a wrestler.

Hinata watched as the server tossed the ball up and the server got into his running approach. Everything seemed to happen in slow motion.

The ball came towards Hinata's direction and he bended his knees and faced towards the ball.

All of the technical aspects were right but the skill wasn't there anymore. Or maybe it never was, Hinata knew he was never a strong receiver.

The ball bounced off Hinata's arms, hitting the ceiling. 

He watched as Mr. Jersey Number Three snickered with his teammates and proudly boasting on how he knew Hinata wasn't a great receiver.

"Don't mind!" Hinata heard one of his teammates say to him but he wasn't exactly focusing. He knew the if Mr. Jersey Number Three was as good as he was, he'd serve directly towards Hinata again.

And sure enough he did.

This time the ball didn't even hit his arms. 

"Nice! A no-touch ace."

Hinata felt himself grow frustrated. He didn't want to prove everyone else right. He knew the other players on his side were getting anxious as well.

It didn't help that Mr. Jersey Number Three was also annoying and being a moron.

He felt a hand on his shoulder.

Hinata was startled by the sudden touch, and swung around to see his setter staring at him.